We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surf Spots That Aren't Rocky

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Surf Spots That Aren't Rocky

Perhaps this doesn't exist but does anybody know any surf spots for a beginner where the bottom is sandy instead of rocky?

Thanks.

Socal
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surf Spots That Aren't Rocky

You'll be hard pressed to find a completely sandy bottom. Once you get a short ways off the beach, it's generally coral and rock. I know some of the surf lesson companies provide booties. I bring a pair with me along with my board.

I had my daughter out surfing a couple of times...a beginner....we were over a rocky area and she had no problems once she learned to avoid pushing off the bottom after a ride.

Since wave quality isn't going to be a big issue, might consider DT Fleming. The inner bay is mostly sand.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Surf Spots That Aren't Rocky

Thanks nesdog. Which beach did you have your daughter at?

Socal
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surf Spots That Aren't Rocky

I took her out at the beginner break on Kaanapali, just steps outside our door. I was also planning on taking her to Launiupoko the other side of town. Lots of beginners there plus the park has facilities for an easy day at the beach. Note that this park is heavily used by locals on the weekends and does tend to get crowded.

Also it's helpful if you avoid lower tides as the water gets more shallow. I've surfed breaks where my feet were touching the rocks just sitting on the board....that's about time to exit the water.

There are a couple of break on the South side where there is more sand as well.

4. Re: Surf Spots That Aren't Rocky

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 10:20