We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone flown Go! Mokulele's Cessnas for interisland?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,410 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone flown Go! Mokulele's Cessnas for interisland?

We're looking at booking Kona to Kahului and saw that the Go! Mokulele flights were on 9-seat Cessna Grand Caravans. I was wondering if anyone has flown on them and how the seats compare to the Hawaiian Air 717s. Also, are there any special luggage restrictions?

Thanks, as always, for the help!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,048 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone flown Go! Mokulele's Cessnas for interisland?

GO! flies Cessna Caravans from Kona. Many airlines that fly the caravan pack 14-15 people into it. If memory serves, I think that GO! puts 11 seats in theirs, including one in the rear next to the baggage netting. Of course the seats are a little thinner and narrower, but they are two per row, one on each side. What's different compared to a standard jet in that the ceiling is VERY low. I have to practically double over to walk the aisle. They do weigh your baggage and you prior to the flight, and again if memory serves, they charge extra for over 50# or some other weight limit. I'm sure their web site would tell you. No charge for overweight people. though.

One very important thing I recall from flying out of Kona last year was that they flew NOT from the main terminal at Kona but from their commuter terminal about half mile south. And they leave Kahului from the commuter terminal behind the rental car terminal. Again that's a good question for their web site. The GO! jets fly out of the main OGG terminal but not the Cessnas.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,538 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone flown Go! Mokulele's Cessnas for interisland?

my friends just flew over in august to meet us, from kona, at the ogg airport. it is a small plane, and yes, they fly into the adjunt terminal to the main.

they had no restrictions for liquid or anything that is the usual with tsa. no tsa or anything like that!!! they brought me all sorts of things from the garden and more!!no checking of anything and they were a bit overweight, and the front desk just waved them on. pretty different!!

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,652 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone flown Go! Mokulele's Cessnas for interisland?

never done it, but remember, it's a single engine turboprop over open water... me personally, i'd rather have 2 engines, no matter how reliable the PT-6 is.....

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,410 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone flown Go! Mokulele's Cessnas for interisland?

Thanks for the answers. The website wasn't very helpful with information. There is one listing for baggage fees (1st bag fee, 2nd, 3rd), that does not distinguish between aircraft types. Then the baggage limit section talks about a 70 lb limit on baggage, but didn't specify if that was per piece or total. I sent an email for clarification, but haven't heard back yet (time for a phone call, I think).

The single engine thing doesn't bother me, for flights that are that short.

I'm glad to hear that you're not packed in like sardines. I'm 6'6", and I've been on a flight where I physically could not sit in the seat. Luckily, that flight (Albany NY to Boston) wasn't full, so they folded up the seat in front of me. This sounds like it would be more comfortable.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,538 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone flown Go! Mokulele's Cessnas for interisland?

looked like they were packed in like sardines to me??and they flew kona ogg and back

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
359 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone flown Go! Mokulele's Cessnas for interisland?

Here is a photo of the inside of our Mokulele flight from Kahului to Kona.

…photobucket.com/albums/…DSCF3884.jpg

This was right after Go took over the airline. It was 2 aisles of seats, one seat wide. I think there was 9 seats on the plane. It was a nervous flight, but I loved it. Great views. We got there early and they put us on the flight one hour before the one we had booked because that flight was ready to leave and had seats. No security checks. They did weigh us and all our bags, carry-on included. They have to balance the plane's baggage weight. We were in the second row of seats. The pilot kept the door open to the cockpit and we had a great view out the front of the plane.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
359 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone flown Go! Mokulele's Cessnas for interisland?

By the way, my husband is 6'3" and he did have some trouble getting into the plane. Had to bend over until he got to his seat. He did have head room once seated.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,048 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone flown Go! Mokulele's Cessnas for interisland?

Wow, at 6'6" you are going to have fun getting to the forward seats. Knowing this they may give you the rear single seat beside the cargo. Or perhaps the front row seat so you have plenty of leg room. They don't assign seats until you're there and they get to see everyone's height and weight.

The Cessna Caravan has a long safe record around the world, so i wouldn't worry about safety, especially in one maintained in the US.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,410 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone flown Go! Mokulele's Cessnas for interisland?

Thanks, that picture helps a lot. It actually looks a lot better than I expected. Now I just need to figure out how much luggage we can bring, to see if this will work.

I appreciate the help, TA family!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone flown Go! Mokulele's Cessnas for interisland?

You get boarded and taxi must quicker than the larger planes.

We loved it.