We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best south beach for October snorkeling

washington state
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
best south beach for October snorkeling

I am here in Maui and want to know the best south beach to snorkel on this weekend.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best south beach for October snorkeling

South beach means South Maui? I love snorkeling at the Makena Beach & Golf Resort's beach. There is public parking there for this beach, but we have parked at the resort before too, and just walke across the resort to the beach. Go to the left side of the beach, and snorkel along the left side where the lava rocks are, and you will see plenty of fish. We saw 5 or 6 turtles there once.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best south beach for October snorkeling

Chang's beach was great yesterday, counted 14 turtles as we swam over to the reef at 5 Graves/5 Caves. Manta rays were cruising back and forth at 5 Caves. The reef at Ulua was also good. The surf is low right now so visibility is good at most beaches.

Washington
Level Contributor
326 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best south beach for October snorkeling

We had good luck last week at Po'olenalena Beach (Paipu Beach) in Makena.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,062 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best south beach for October snorkeling

Top right of this page.."Where Do I Snorkel" will list areas and level.

If al is calm then head to Moanakala (the dumps) in the Ahiki-Kina'u Area.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,540 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best south beach for October snorkeling

Anywhere in south Maui is a good place to snorkel!! Maluaka is the name of the beach in front of the Makena Beach and Golf Resort. They do frown on people who use their parking for beach access, best to use the beach parking lots. Moanakala and Ulua are great too.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best south beach for October snorkeling

Yes, the beach parking lot is actually better, it is closer to the snorkeling site. We don't park at the Makena resort anymore. (But the beach parking lot is not so obvous, kinda of hard to find.)

Fishtaco,

Where is this Chang's beach, the 5 graves/5 cave place? How would I get there?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,540 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best south beach for October snorkeling

Chang's beach is near Kalama Park in Kihei. Tiny little beach best for boogie boarding but when the surf is low, snorkeling.

Five Caves, graves usually means Makena Landing, or any of the lava outcroppings in that area. To get to the caves, head right as you are facing the ocean from the landing.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: best south beach for October snorkeling

Chang's beach is just south of the Makena Surf Condos, there is a small public parking lot there with beach access. 5 Caves is just south of Changs, the reef runs out from the rocky point. You'll usually see Kayak tours and Dive boats there in the morning. Another access is from the grave site on Makena road but its rocky there and a little tricky getting in the water. You could also start at Makena Landing, but its a long swim to 5 Graves/Caves from there. Like most snorkel sites, the visibility is best here in the morning. Chang's can be a little murky if there are any waves.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best south beach for October snorkeling

Thanks! fishtaco, fuzz.

This place sounds really cool. I definitly want to check it out. I filed it in my Maui folder for our next trip's to do list. We actually don't know when we will be visiting Maui next, so I am just dreaming for now...

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,540 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best south beach for October snorkeling

Names of beaches sometimes can be confusing. They get named one thing, and then all of the sudden it's something else. Anyway there are two beaches on Maui apparently named Chang's Beach. The one you are looking for is part of Poolenalena.