We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental at OGG airport and Things to do

Kansas
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental at OGG airport and Things to do

Hi, We will be travelling to Maui airport on November 25th. Out flight arrives little late at 9:45 PM. I saw most of the car rental companies close at 10:00 PM. I am worried if I would get car it I am little late say may be 10:15 PM. Do the rental agency people wait for few more minutes if we have booked our car?

How is discounthawaiicarrental.com I am thinking of booking my car here.

Another thing is we will be travelling there with 8 month old baby. What are the places we could see with the baby. I know diving and all would be impossible as we both can not do it at a time.

Thank you in advance for the reply.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,333 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental at OGG airport and Things to do

Just let whatever rental company you book with know what time your flight comes in and they will wait for you. I'm a firm believer you can do almost anything with the baby along. Just takes a bit more planning and compromise!!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
366 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental at OGG airport and Things to do

The car rental companies stay open for the flights. They aren't going to miss that business.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental at OGG airport and Things to do

Let them know your flight number when booking. Most not if all dont close until last flight has arrived.

Discount is wonderful, usually the cheapest from my experience, you will be booked with one of the big car rental companies at the airport. They act as a middle man.

We traveled with at the time our 9 month old to Maui. We had a blast with him and he loved Maui. At that age they are amused with just about anything so dont over think it. He did get cranky at the end of the day when we did alot of driving but still had a blast going to Hana twice. Best times we had were going to Kam 3 grass field with blanket and food to watch sunset every night. He didnt mind taking his naps in the stroller which was a plus on long days.

Kansas
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental at OGG airport and Things to do

Thank for you the quick reply. Is drive to Hana a good idea with baby?I read somewhere roads are curvy and you could feel sick at the top? We are renting full size car. Should we go for SUV if we want to go to Hana?

Canada
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental at OGG airport and Things to do

The Major car rental companies will stay open until the last plane lands....whatever that time may be. Do not worry...even if you end up being hours late..(Out of your control) Make sure to include your flight # info on your reservation so they know what flight you are on..if delayed.

A beach.. and a bucket of sunscreen should do you for "things to do " with an 8 month old in Hawaii. Hopefully your condo is a main floor unit for ease of access with all of your baby equipment...access to a lawn area etc Safer as well if the wee one is creeping about..

Just re -reading your post....sounds like you do not have a car rental reservation made...Isn't that Thanksgiving?? I would get something reserved without delay. Prices may well be rather steep at this late date....hopefully not sold out.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental at OGG airport and Things to do

We did it twice with our son. He never showed any sickness so this wasnt any issue for us. The wife on the other hand does get sick. So going a little slower through the curves helped.

Personally I find the higher you are in a car/suv the better it is for preventing car sickness. Just my opinion. You do not need an SUV to do the drive by no means.

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,731 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental at OGG airport and Things to do

discounthawaiicarrental.com works for me.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,562 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental at OGG airport and Things to do

Aloha,

You do indeed need to hurry and get a car reserved!! That is Thanksgiving weekend, as mentioned.......I hope you can still find one.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,333 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental at OGG airport and Things to do

Whether your baby will get sick on the way to Hana is any one's guess. You know baby best. There are hundreds of curves and bridges to cross but no "top" to get to!! The Hana Hwy. is a long and winding road around Haleakala. You don't need an SUV to get there. In fact, the smaller the car the better.

10. Re: Car Rental at OGG airport and Things to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2012, 10:28