We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feast at Lele for teens...a review and comparison to DOP

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Feast at Lele for teens...a review and comparison to DOP

Last week we enjoyed The Feast at Lele with our two teen daughters (ages 17 and 14) and our teen son (age 15). On a previous trip we enjoyed the Drums of Hawaii at the Hyatt luau. This time we wanted to try something different. We love new and different foods and the more intimate venue offered by the Feast intrigued us.

First, the food at the Feast of Lele is delicious and unique. We were served items that matched the cultures represented in the dance to follow. All of the items represented a specific region of Polynesian culture in a different area of the Pacific rim. Each course included something quite exotic and cutting edge as well as a more familiar item. The taro wrapped chicken and the steak were two our our kids' favorites. My husband and I loved the fish cakes and the ceviche (pok).

The dances helped us learn more about the cultures. When presented in this format, one can see the distinctions in the dances and the cultures of the various regions. We particularly loved the Maori dances with the wagging tongues and bulging eyes of the dancers. My son completed and extensive research project on the Maori in school last year. The Haka dance was a war dance in early Maori cultures. It is now performed by professional New Zealand sports teams before competition. It is a very powerful expression of force. Seen in the Feast of Lele's venue, if one does not listen to the explanation before the performance, the facial expressions of the men are quite humorous and make the strong bodily movements seem quite funny.

Comparing the more traditional tourist luau of the Drums of the Pacific to the Feast of Lele, I'll let my kids' comments speak for themselves. The preferred the Feast of Lele for the explanations of the dances, the variety of virgin drinks offered, the venue (it is truly beautiful), the private table (our table was in an excellent location) and the variety of food. They preferred the Drums of the Pacific for the sheer fun of it. It is more of a party than a dinner. My youngest liked getting up on stage to perform, my son like taking multiple trips to the buffet for kalua pork and steak (although our waiter at the Feast brought our son extra steak and even brought him rolls from Pacifico as he really wanted a "good roll"). The girls rated the Feast an 8 on a 10 point scale and the Drums a 6 on a 10 point scale. Our son rated the Feast an 8 on a 10 point scale and the Drums a 7 on a 10 point scale.

From a parents perspective, the price of Drums of the Pacific is a real winner. They offer special pricing for teens which makes sense as they are not drinking alcohol. At the Feast we paid the same for teens and adults.

We are glad went to the Feast during this trip. Our recommendation is to take teens to the Drums of the Pacific if this is their first Luau. If they have attended a luau before and tend to be "foodie" kids or are interested in the origins of the various dances, the Feast is a great alternative.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,977 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feast at Lele for teens...a review and comparison to DOP

Great review...glad you all enjoyed it! I hope you will take the time to post this under the FLL review section too. It would be extremely helpful for others.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feast at Lele for teens...a review and comparison to DOP

Thanks mamma. I did post it as a review. I only wish I had caught all of the typos first!

We had a great trip! I'll post a trip report later today. We just love Maui!

Level Contributor
34,218 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feast at Lele for teens...a review and comparison to DOP

Very nice report! We loved The Feast at Lele, we had seats front and center and had a very memorable evening. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time in paradise! :)

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feast at Lele for teens...a review and comparison to DOP

I have a question on the FLL. Do they only serve the set menu? My daughter won't eat beef or pork (will eat poultry) & is allergic to dairy & shellfish / seafood. Neither allergy is life threatening but can result in considerable discomfort. For our upcoming trip, I've booked the Old Lahaina Lu'au since the odds are greater that she will find something acceptable but since I undoubtedly will be returning to Maui after that, I am interested in knowing the the FLL is a viable option for us. Mahalo!

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Feast at Lele for teens...a review and comparison to DOP

Terrific report on FAL that will be really helpful, especially for anyone considering attending with families. Thanks for posting this.

We love Feast at Lele and have been several times. It does require a bit of an adventuresome palate.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
45,617 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feast at Lele for teens...a review and comparison to DOP

Aloha,

What a great post!! You detailed the pros and cons (so to speak) of each very nicely. And yes, while Feast is much pricier with teens, the service and table seating is so nice.

Elaine/Pretty Kitties.........you might look at FAL's vegetarian menu option for your daughter, but there will most likely be coconut milk in some of the veg dishes.......is she allergic to that as well? (It's not really 'dairy' but some folks think so).

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,002 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Feast at Lele for teens...a review and comparison to DOP

Enjoyed your review, even though reviews are supposed to be written in the review section. I think your teens are rather unique in that they would actually eat the food. I know a few teens that would enjoy this venue also but the vast majority probably wouldn't.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Feast at Lele for teens...a review and comparison to DOP

Actually, Msfuzz, I stated earlier that I did post this in the review section. I posted here as well because many folks rely primarily on and only search the forums.

I agree that not all teens would like the food. Actually, I'm not sure many teens would enjoy the foods at a regular tourist luau as they are "foreign" in many respects. Part of the value of travel, imo, is to expose us (both young and old) to new experiences including food. I hope the review in the review section and this forum post is helpful to those who feel similarly.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Feast at Lele for teens...a review and comparison to DOP

Mahalo SW! Coconut milk is no problem for her.... in fact at lot of the ice cream she enjoys uses it as a base.

And thanks Moms for the great review, it was very helpful.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Feast at Lele for teens...a review and comparison to DOP

My daughter won't eat beef or pork (will eat poultry) & is allergic to dairy & shellfish / seafood.

======

We had a group at FaL earlier this year and they provided veggie food for the veggies we had in our party