We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay cheap on Maui in February

San Diego...
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay cheap on Maui in February

I've never been to Hawaii before but am in charge of planning vacation with my partner and we've gotten as far as the available vacation dates (1st or 2nd week of Feb) and an outstanding airfare deal to Maui ($298 pp roundtrip nonstop from San Diego).

This is an extra minivacation shoved into the year's schedule so we're really trying to keep lodging costs down and don't even know what region to look at, let alone what individual properties. We're looking at probably only 5 nights stay due to schedule issues (please don't tell me what a bad idea shorter stays than 1wk are, I've already heard it all and would rather go and stay 5 nights than wait another year to go for longer)

We'd like to be easy walk distance from a decent beach but don't need to be on oceanfront, and price is key. There are just the 2 of us, we don't need luxury or big spaces, and our minimal needs are only for a clean and safe place with a kitchen. Any suggestions?

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay cheap on Maui in February

So, what is your price range!?!

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,111 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay cheap on Maui in February

I agree that 5 nights is totally worth it from the west coast. I grabbed one of those airfare bargains, too, and am coming for 5 nights in January.

My favorite places for budget condos are Kihei and Maalaea. Kihei Kai Nani is a good choice, across from lovely Kam II beach and walking distance to several shops and restaurants. One agency I have worked with that handles units there is this one: www.mauicoastcondo.com

You might also look at Maalaea. For less than $150 a night you can get a 1 bedroom oceanfront unit. Take a look at the units here:

www.maalaeabay.com

The beach is not as pretty as the Kamaole beaches in So. Maui, but it is OK for swimming and great for walking (4 miles long). The beachfront properties with 1 bedroom units are Makani A Kai and Hono Kai.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay cheap on Maui in February

When I say "Cheap" I am decidedly not exaggerating. Less than $100 per night. From what I've seen there are such options out there in the vacation rental world of Maui, though they may be subprime locations or facilities. Once below that price threshhold I am not necessarily looking for the LOWEST PRICE, but best value...best location/facilities/amenities relative to the price.

We've stayed happily on the beach in Mexico in a truck-top shell camper, so space is NOT an issue.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,451 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay cheap on Maui in February

Your best bet to find anything in your price range would be Maalaea or Kihei. You are coming at one of Maui's busiest times so accommodation may be scarce and prices are going to be higher than they would be say, in early May. Rental cars may also be an issue so the sooner you can book one of those the better.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
55,156 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay cheap on Maui in February

Aloha,

Try Lahaina Shores........a search here:

trip.hawaii-connections.com/instantres/query

for the dates of Feb 2-7 shows a studio for 703, all taxes and fees included. This was the least expensive place I found that I think is decent, but there may be others. The first week of Feb will be slightly less expensive than the second week (Valentine's Day is very popular for weddings, etc).

P.S. the search won't bookmark, but you can get to it easy from the link I posted.

Edited: 16 November 2011, 17:27
Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,111 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay cheap on Maui in February

Kihei Bay Surf comes to mind. They are studio units built around a courtyard swimming pool and across the street from the beach. Many are in the $65-100 per night range and some have been nicely upgraded. I have a friend who stayed there and thought it was a great value. Here are 2 good agencies that handle some units there; you can check out photos of units and the area to see if it appeals:

www.rentalsmaui.com

www.aaoceanfront.com

There are others listed on vrbo.com, also.

St. Stephen, SC
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay cheap on Maui in February

Try Napili Bay.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay cheap on Maui in February

Check out this thread if you haven't already, especially the last post from the OP!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60632-i109-k49464…

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
227 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay cheap on Maui in February

How funny, the topic mentioned above is the one I started. :-)

It looks like the place we decided on is already booked for your dates, but we also found several other options (some right by the ocean) for about $85-$90 that could work for you.

If I remember correctly there were several affordable options in Kalama Terrace and Kihei Bay Surf, as well as a few of the other properties near the Kam beaches.

AirB&B had some reasonably priced options, but most were already booked for our dates. VRBO had a lot more options.

Good luck! I felt like we'd totally missed the boat and would end up having to spend $200 per night, but in the end we're spending $560 for a week incl. all taxes and fees AND free breakfast. So I'm sure there's a place out there for you too.

California
Level Contributor
227 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay cheap on Maui in February

Gunnie: will you be able to share the name of the place you will be staying? Thx