We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Nov 3 - 12

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
814 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Nov 3 - 12

Hi there.. just wanted to let you all know how much I appreciated your input before our trip.. while I am a "fairly seasoned Mauian" ( this was my 13th trip since 1978 ) there is ALWAYS something new to learn! so thank you to you all

I wont do a day by day play by play as I don't really remember it all... we relaxed.. a lot...

I tried stand up paddleboarding.. and as I wrote earlier, ended up with a black eye.. it's gone and my ego has been repaired as well.. I LOVED the feeling of being out there in the quiet with just me and a board...

We kayaked.. with Kelii's Kayak tours.. great experience... and will now just rent our own kayaks at the surf shack at the mana kai.. thank you to whomever it was that told me about that place.. I've stayed at the surfside for years and didn't know it existed!

we ate at Eskimo Candy... several times.. and bought fresh fish for the bbq... amazing... words can't describe how tasty and fresh the poke was!! and I don't usually "do" raw fish.. but I went back for more!

we drove north to the blowhole.. great perspective on a different landscape and loved the angry ocean up there... I think it's a must see.. and no, I didn't go close nor sit on the edge.. but there were the typical crazy folks flirting with disaster.. why???

we "lived" on the Island.. we don't really do touristy stuff.. we ate at home most nights and met lovely people from all over north america... a part of condo life that I really love...

oh, and we ate at 808 Bistro.. twice.. that is a definate must do! BYOB and very good food.. not on the beach.. buy a reservation is suggested.. and you'll see why when you try it!

all in all a wonderful trip.. I cry when I arrive as I'm so happy to be there and I cry when I leave because I can't bear to tear my heart and soul away.. this time we booked our return trip before we even left... I just have to wait til the end of March now to fill my soul again with enough Aloha to get me through til the next trip!

so addicted... so in love... I just have to figure out how we can live there...

thank you all....

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,585 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Nov 3 - 12

Sounds simply lovely Shelley!! I love when you get to the point where you feel like you are "living" on Maui...not just "vacationing"! Glad it was wonderful again!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,407 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Nov 3 - 12

Thanks shelly for the report!! Dreams of whales must be dancing in your head. Keep on the boards, it helps with the withdrawals!!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
814 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Nov 3 - 12

mamma and msfuzz... I am here daily! LOL.... it's helping with the withdrawals.. just wish I could find some POG!!!! we've been buying papayas, pineapples, coconut rum... and pretending we're still there. my dh put his foot down when I asked if we could get a truck load of sand for the living room! PLEASE?? just need my toes in it again.. ok, I'll settle for a bucket with sand!

thank you for all your help... and yes, whales are in my head... when we were there we saw a huge pod of spinner dolphins in front of the condo.. it was simply the best.. not to mention the big manta ray that swam beside us while snorkelling.. ah, such wonderful memories... mamma.. i truly find, the only way to really experience Maui.. to really feel it.. is to live it...

oh, one thing I forgot to mention.. we had the best huli huli on south kihei road.. we kept trying to get some chicken and he kept running out.. he must have felt sorry for us so he saved a piece all wrapped up ( guess he knew we'd come back again ) .. when my dh went back the guy had a huge smile on his face and came to give him the saved pieces.. much to the others dismay! yes, that's living Maui...

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,625 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Nov 3 - 12

>>>yes, that's living Maui...<<<<<

Love it! That's a real Maui vacation. Huli Huil chicken and all. That guy does a great job, finger licking good.

Like the bucket of sand idea.......

Glad your eye has healed.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,585 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Nov 3 - 12

HAHA...huli huli chicken=Aloha! We had the same experience with the Savage shrimp truck on Kauai...after 2 attempts we got to tell the next 2 cars that stopped "Sorry...she's out"!

United States
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Nov 3 - 12

Thank you for your TR Shelly. I learned a lot from it. You make me more determined than ever to get off the beach and go see the blowhole. I've been wanting to and it's on my list, I'll just make sure it's near the top!

I am excited to about going to 808 Deli. I don't think we'll get to the Bistro this time due to timing but I'm hoping this will be a great lunch for one of the days we spend at a South Maui beach.

I also may move Eskimo candy up my list due to your raving. It's on the list already though!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
814 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Nov 3 - 12

hey there smart :) glad I can help... we didn't hit the deli but if the bistro is any indication it will be a good bet....

we stayed in Kihei... so on the blowhole day we hit up Lahaina first.. did a walk about, window shopped etc... then we drove up to the blowhole... walked down to it.. we didn't stay long.. just long enough to get a few pics.. and have our picnic lunch...

then back to the barefoot bar to have a tropical drink with our toes in the sand.. and home to Kihei... it was a busy day... but we got a lot doen that day!

and Eskimo Candy.. well.. just grab something for takeout if you have time... it's just a nice inexpensive option for a quick bite.... when do you go back to Maui?

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,826 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - Nov 3 - 12

Aloha,

Shelley, what a super report! We should bookmark it for everyone who wants to "do it all"!

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,771 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - Nov 3 - 12

Sounds like my kind of Maui vacation! Glad is was all you wanted it to be, and thanks for coming back and sharing with us all.

Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - Nov 3 - 12

I'm not too humble to take credit for the Surf Shack. I enthused in my own TR last spring. It's good to do a tour first however, to get a feel for open ocean.