We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Maui over New Years, need accommodation suggestions!

Calgary
Level Contributor
83 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
In Maui over New Years, need accommodation suggestions!

Hi everyone

We just sort of spontaneously booked a seat sale to Maui without checking out accommodation availability, because the price was right and we had the time off. But unfortunately after looking around on expedia and vrbo for a few hours, it looks like there's not much left. We will be there from December 28 - January 4, and are looking for suggestions. Here's what we're hoping for:

- doesn't have to be beach front; I have heard that nice beaches are often across the street from some of the less expensive places.

- because this is our honeymoon, we are watching out $$ and are hoping to not have to spend more than $200 total per night including taxes.

- we'd be open to condos, cabins, hotels with a fridge - it doesn't need to be fancy, but we want some place clean.

- also to save money a bit, we'd like to have a place where we can do at least some food prep (or at the very least food storage - fridge)

- we were able to book a car at a decent rate, so at least we will be mobile. But we'd still like to be close enough to a grocery store, etc. that we can easily pick up food.

Any suggestions?? I hope we can find somewhere - it would be crappy if it ended up being a mistake to book this seat sale!

Thank You!!

PS: we will be there a total of 2 weeks, so will plan to go to another island for the second week...once we have a place lined up in Maui, then I might be back asking for suggestions on which other island to go to to give us different scenery/activities than Maui.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,461 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Maui over New Years, need accommodation suggestions!

Oh WOW...as you have figured out you are very late to the dance party for this year. It's really take what you can find time!

You can look at www.chasenrainbows.com but really, at this late date one of the 3rd parties are your best bet. Have you tried priceline or hotwire? You may not know what you are getting but at least you'll have SOMETHING!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In Maui over New Years, need accommodation suggestions!

i have been to maui and used expedia to book the hotel and car

and used priceline to book hotel and car in hawaii big island

pick the hotel star level u want and u can pick from what is available

with priceline i was able to rent a car for 40% off.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,559 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In Maui over New Years, need accommodation suggestions!

Check out South Maui

http://mauiownercondos.com/

http://www.crhmaui.com/

Also check condos in North Kihei & Ma'alaea area..less expensive

honolulupublishing.com/MauiMaps/maui_map_sou…

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,831 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In Maui over New Years, need accommodation suggestions!

Your choice for the second island might be dictated by who has a room for you! Oahu might be the best choice for the second one, as they have a ton of places in Waikiki, and at least you wouldn't have to worry about renting a car for the whole time there.

Congratulations on your nuptials too. Hope it all works out for the both of you!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
808 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In Maui over New Years, need accommodation suggestions!

the days inn in Wailea has vacancy.. the location is good but I can't vouch for the rooms.. I plugged in your dates and the total was $1209 all taxes in... looks like just a hotel room..but says it has a fridge and microwave.. I'd keep that in mind :)

good luck!

Calgary
Level Contributor
83 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In Maui over New Years, need accommodation suggestions!

Thanks everyone for all the feedback...it is very appreciated! We ended up booking the Nona Lani Cabins in Kihei. They come pretty highly recommended on TA, and also are in the Lonely Planet book (might be nice to have a separate little cabin on a honeymoon! :-) The only downside to them as mentioned by a few folks is that the property owners don't respond to comments on TA. I will definitely let them know that that could be a factor in people booking their property, and I will post my review after our stay. Take care! K

f47
sask
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: In Maui over New Years, need accommodation suggestions!

What car rental company did you book with and wondering what rate you got as i am finding them fairly high compared to what they have been in previous years.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
55,076 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In Maui over New Years, need accommodation suggestions!

Aloha,

Ugo, good to read that you are booked. Hope the cottage works out beautifully for you!

F47, try here:

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

and do it quick, 'cause cars are getting sold out.

Calgary
Level Contributor
83 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: In Maui over New Years, need accommodation suggestions!

I booked my car rental through Expedia. It was from Dec 28 - Jan 4. The car is from Dollar, but the rate is from Expedia: $179 (economy car, one size up from the smallest) including taxes for the entire week!! I thought it was a mistake because when I checked it out on the Dollar website, it was almost $1000 for the week! I phoned Expedia to confirm and they assured me that they hold a certain number of vehicles at a certain price. I'm crossing my fingers that it all works out when I get there.

10. Re: In Maui over New Years, need accommodation suggestions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 07:41