We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The most ridiculous Maui question you've heard/Mahana

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
The most ridiculous Maui question you've heard/Mahana

OK, bear with me here, folks. :)

About to pull the trigger and book a 10th floor condo at the Mahana through a private owner on VRBO . The pictures look fabulous, it's got more than 20 5/5 star reviews and the owner has been easy to reach when I call/email.

I just have one concern ...

Don't laugh, please ...

Can you still hear the waves all the way up on the 10th floor? This is pretty much a vacation of a lifetime for me so I want everything to be wonderful (at least, whatever's in my control). And for me, listening to the ocean at night is one of the best parts!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
52,459 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The most ridiculous Maui question you've heard/Mahana

Aloha,

I won't laugh at you--I have been asked far, far stranger and sillier questions!

Yes, you will still hear the ocean, enjoy.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,355 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The most ridiculous Maui question you've heard/Mahana

That actually wasn't silly at all!! You will be a happy camper!

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,266 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The most ridiculous Maui question you've heard/Mahana

I live a mile away from the ocean in South Carolina and can easily hear the ocean when the windows are open (very easy on the front porch, enjoying wine in the evening), so...I would imagine that oceanfront/beachfront, 10 floors up would be wonderful.

In Hawaii, we've only had an "on the beach" house once, but otherwise have never chosen a front row unit and have never had problems hearing the ocean from farther back (in an oceanfront location, of course).

Enjoy!

Edited: 01 December 2011, 23:26
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The most ridiculous Maui question you've heard/Mahana

Ha, thanks, everyone. As you know, it's a pricey trip, so I'm over-thinking and stressing like a champ!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,504 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The most ridiculous Maui question you've heard/Mahana

You will need the ocean front with the sound of the waves to de-stress.

It won't take long..sitting on the lanai sipping coffee and in the evenings sipping a drink as the beautiful sunset emerges. Tenth will be fine.

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The most ridiculous Maui question you've heard/Mahana

if your unit is ocean facing...you'll definitely hear the ocean...and how. we stay at the maui kai next door and there have been times when the ocean is almost too loud. ain't complainin' though!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,998 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The most ridiculous Maui question you've heard/Mahana

Yes ... we were on the 12th floor of the Mahana and agree with Billy that sometimes it's almost too loud. There were times I put ear plugs in for sleeping ...could have closed the door and turned on the A/C but would rather have the lanai door open for the fresh air if it's not too warm outside.

You'll love it!

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,725 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The most ridiculous Maui question you've heard/Mahana

No such thing as a dumb question - and there have been many crazier ones that that one was!

Enjoy those lapping waves. It'll be an awesome vacation!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
52,459 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The most ridiculous Maui question you've heard/Mahana

Aloha,

Well, VC......I would have to disagree about the first part of your post, but def agree with the second about crazier questions!!

If you happen to be here during a full moon, step outside and watch the ocean when the moon is over it. Beautiful!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The most ridiculous Maui question you've heard/Mahana

One of the most ridiculous Maui question I have been asked is "Is there water behind that island?". And I was asked that more than once when I worked at a Visitors Center on the water. I told them there was.

I was at the Maui Kai (next to the Mahana) when I was asked if the island of Lanai was Mount Fuji.

I like your question about hearing the waves.