We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zip lining advice

Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Zip lining advice

Hi,

Just a quick question about the zip lining tours. Is there a lot of walking involved to do the zip lining? Just not sure my friend would be up to much hiking, if was an easy walk and a few flights of stairs she may be ok...

Is the zip lining rough? And are the harnesses comfortable?

Strange questions I know... I read that they don't really recommend it for back problems, I have a back that is a bit average - but I still do roller coasters and things with the kids even though it isn't recommended for your back... sometimes you just have to give it a a go... But not to the detriment of my friend or our broken backs!!! Want to have lots of fun without paying to hard for it!!

Meg

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
653 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Zip lining advice

We went with Skyline Eco Adventures in the West Maui mountains a couple of years ago and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

There was not much hiking at all. We went in a van almost to the first platform. Then you zip across to another platform, walk along the ridge for a bit to another platform, zip back to the other side and so forth. I don't remember any elevation gains at all and I was not in good physical condition at the time. I was never out of breath or struggling at all.

I didn't find the harness uncomfortable at all and I've had back/shoulder/neck problems.

The only possible risk I can think of in terms of irritating a back problem is the bumpy van ride to get up there or the jarring/jolting that might happen if you don't get the smoothest landing at the platform.

I found that really listening to the guides' suggestions as to how to try to land (they "catch" you at each platform and ease you down as much as they can) was really helpful. Most of my landings were pretty gentle and upright although there were other folks on the tour who seemed to be having more trouble with their landings.

If you decide to go I bet you'll have a great time!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,582 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zip lining advice

Here is a really good over-view of Maui zip-lines hawaiimagazine.com/blogs/hawaii_today/2010/5…

As you'll see some are more strenuous than others.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
5,777 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zip lining advice

I am not an expert zipliner, and never been. but doing research as to whether or not we should zipline on our next trip to Maui. Well, in my research, and maybe others will chime in, I found that Skyline Eco tour is the oldest on the island, and two others I know of, Flyin Hawaii and Piiholo Ranch. Not sure which one would be best for you but, from what I have read and from pictures, skyline has more of a belt type harness that wraps around your back and chest with a seat, the other two has more of a full almost like a llife vest harness. to me it LOOKs more comfortable. I called all three companies as well to get more info on them.

Could anyone with more experience chime in and let us/me know which tour company would be better and for what reasons?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
653 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Zip lining advice

I just read the link Mamma provided - good info there!

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
5,777 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zip lining advice

I accidentally sent my post and tried to edit but ran out of time...

Mamma, have yu used anyone in particular?????

djb

lwj
Norcal
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zip lining advice

We have done the Kaanapali Eco Adventure Zipline and the Piiholo Zipline out of Makawao.

The Kaanapali Eco Adventure has some ziplines that required a "running start" and their braking was a ramp that you had to land on and slow yourself down....

Of the two, the Piiholo Zipline had a more comfortable harness and a much better braking system that did not require any effort at all. You stopped and waited for your guide to bring a ladder and unhook the harness. There was some walking and climbing up ramps, but it was not bad at all.... and the half mile zipline required a vehicle to get to the starting platform.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
5,777 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zip lining advice

thank you lwj.... i was looking into the Piiholo zipline, "if we do It" I am still a little concerned about flying over Maui on a cable!!!! my kids were very upset with me when i told them we were not going to zipline. each of my kids are allowed to pick one excursion that they want to do. They both want to zipline of course... and they both picked parasail.. They Parasail all the time and now want to do this. what to do?????

thanks for the info. so yuo would recommend Piiholo? I ahve heard good things about them.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,562 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zip lining advice

Aloha,

I think Pi'iholo does a wonderful job. They are very solid, safety oriented, and good with kids and adults too.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
5,777 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Zip lining advice

Pi'iholo it is... if i agree to it...LOL

ft myers fl
Level Contributor
122 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Zip lining advice

My husband has had a neck fusion (13 years ago) and had no problem. We used Eco Skyline on the way to Haleakala. You do have a little bit of a hike to get to the first zip but the instructors don't push you to keep a certain speed to get there. I have used them twice now and find the harnesses secure and comfortable and the instructors very knowledgable. I can't speak to the other providers but I know Eco Skyline is in there 9th year at the origianl location and also owns the location in West Maui.