We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes/Dengue fever

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Mosquitoes/Dengue fever

I know this probably sounds paranoid, but we just went through a terrible bout of mosquito-borne encephalitis with our 12 year old here in Ohio, so I'm feeling extra cautious... I've seen several articles about a few dengue fever cases back in April on Maui... just wondering if anyone knows of any recent issues. We'll be staying in Haiku in Dec/Jan this year. Thanks for any input!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
46,725 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes/Dengue fever

Aloha,

There was a very small outbreak early in the summer by Hana. Major efforts contained it very quickly. I have hear of nothing since then.

You will be in an area that is wetter than the leeward coast, though. I'd bring or buy some of the Off wipes or something just to avoid bites......dengue or not!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,439 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes/Dengue fever

Use that repellent liberally!! You will be staying in one of the wettest places on the island. Like sw say's, haven't heard of any cases since last spring.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes/Dengue fever

I really appreciate the input. I've always been pretty anti-deet until I saw first-hand how much harm a stupid little mosquito can do. We'll definitely apply liberally.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes/Dengue fever

Hikermom: You are NOTparanoid.

Our family has experienced the effects of mosquito born illness in the form of Western Equine encephalitis. I understand your caution.

DEET (lower concentrations as available in Canada) and Neem oil don't work for me, at all. I am a mosquito magnet. Plus DEET based products, such as the OFF I purchased in Rarotonga, melted nail polish! And I had a reaction. BTW: to protect against Dengue bearing mosquitoes, the Rarotongans were using Dettol mixed with baby oil, which I found interesting.

Have you considered the picaridin based products?

Apparently Cutter makes picaridin repellants that are as effective as DEET based products (according to the CDC.) I will be trying this product on my next tropical trip.

Edited: 07 December 2011, 03:01
Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes/Dengue fever

Another option is is an all natural product from the makers of our favorite reef safe sunscreen Mexitan/Tropical sands. The product is called Skedattle and it's recommended by both the Environmental Working Group and the American Academy of Pediatrics.

www.mexitan.com

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitoes/Dengue fever

I wouldn't stay in Haiku if you don't want mosquitoes.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitoes/Dengue fever

Thanks, again, for the advice! This is our seventh stay in Haiku, so I know it's wet and buggy, but it's still our favorite place on the planet. Just want to be better prepared and aware of any viral issues. I will definitely check into the various repellents. I would love to find a DEET alternative that really works. We were in Africa earlier this year and tried a natural product called Skeeter Skidaddler, but it didn't seem to be as effective as DEET.

Love2Vacation, my daughter had LaCrosse encephalits and it was so severe she had a stroke. She was in ICU for a week, completely unresponsive... didn't know who anyone was and the neurologists weren't sure if she would ever fully recover. I read about Western Equine during that time when we were desperately trying to figure out what was going on. Horrifying! I hope your family member is ok. Scary, scary stuff.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitoes/Dengue fever

hikermom, I looked up the Skeeter Skedaddle and it does have a different ingredient base. And the biggest difference is Skedattle has peppermint oil. The Mexitan website had a link to an article on an independent repellent study. It said unprotected was average 16 bites per hour, 100% DEET was 2.78 bites per hour and Skedattle averaged out at around 1/5 of bite per hour.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,958 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitoes/Dengue fever

That sounds encouraging!

They've been having go rounds with dengue on Rarotonga for over five years now (regular ones).

When I was there in 2006, we stayed on a motu in Aitutaki, absolutely thick with mozzies, and the repellant we had brought was excellent. It is a DEET base, scented with Tahitian vanilla.

I had bought it on recommendation of regular visitors to Mo'orea, another island with plenty biters. If anyone is interested, this is their website:

http://www.buggspray.com/vanilla.html

I have had DEET spray that didn't work, but this did, and it's not the highest percentage.

Picaradin (sp?) failed miserably for me.

This peppermint stuff sounds really interesting. Tell me more!

Canada
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitoes/Dengue fever

Isn't it interesting how some of us have no success whatsoever with certain recommended repellants!

I have also tried citronella, in candle and bracelet formats. No go. Just many, many bites.

Bahamas also had an outbreak in September (we were in the vicinity). Marshall Islands are currently under a CDC traveler warning. It is cyclical.

Yes, HikerMom, the member of my family suffered no long term effects. He was in hospital and then recovering for quite a while. But I tell you, a totally frightening experience as you can attest to; one mosquito bite......

Edited: 08 December 2011, 17:29