We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight trip to Hana 12/19 and return to W Maui by 4:00ish

Westchester (LA), CA
Level Contributor
25 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight trip to Hana 12/19 and return to W Maui by 4:00ish

Hi, I'm staying Sat. & Sun at Westin Lahaina Resort and have 1 night cottage rsvp for me, son (14) and daughter (12 1/2) to enjoy the trip to Hana and relax after enjoying waterfalls and scenic drive. But...staying near MM 25 Pa'ia Entabeni cottage and wanted to see Oheo gulch and possibly hike early the next morning...have reservations at Mama's Fish house at 12:30 pm (could chg), and need to drive back to W. Maui airport for 5:30 pm flight to Lihue, Kauai. Am I crazy to try to do all that in one day (driving from Hana south to pools or black sand beach,, then back north to Mamas, and West to Kaanapoli & municipal airport? Is this doable and if not, what would you recommend...heard it's only about 20 minutes from Hana area to Gulch...is that true? How strenuous is hike to falls/bamboo forest??? Am I way too ambitious? btw, I'm adventurous but not in great shape for hiking but love falls.

1. Re: Overnight trip to Hana 12/19 and return to W Maui by 4:00ish

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 December 2011, 01:02
Edited: 06 December 2011, 01:02
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,348 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight trip to Hana 12/19 and return to W Maui by 4:00ish

Are you planning your sight seeing on the way to Hana with luggage in your car? Not a good idea. Even though not common, cars have been broken into while people were away from their cars along the Hana Hwy.

It might be worth it to drive straight to your lodging in the Hana area, drop off your luggage and then explore from there. You could go to Oheo Gulch and hike the Pipiwai Trail then. It will take at least a couple of hours to do that.

You will have to leave Hana no later than 11:00 am to make it to Mama's by 12:30pm. That is driving straight through. Then, of course, plenty of time to get from Mama's to the west Maui airport.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
52,157 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight trip to Hana 12/19 and return to W Maui by 4:00ish

Aloha,

Oh, wow......I almost don't know where to start. You're not going to like the answers, by the way--sorry.

First, Paia is nowhere near Hana. It's at the **start** of the scenic drive. You are about 3 hours from Hana town there, even if you drove straight to it without stopping.

The cottage you have rented is near Hana town. From it to the Oheo Gulch area would prob be about 30 minutes. But the hike up the Pipiwai Trail will take several hours. Then it would take you about 2 1/2-3 hours to reach Mama's, with no stops and if you had no traffic.

From there, you have about an hour and a half drive back to the West side, and you will be in holiday traffic as well as a busy time of day. No way you could make it to the Kapalua airport in time to be in compliance with the rules, unless you take your lunch from Mama's to go.

Change your lunch rez to 11:00 am, and if you leave Hana by 8:30 or 9 AM, you will be going the "right way" for lighter traffic. Leave Mama's by 1:30 at the latest to get back to the West side and get whatever bags you have perhaps left at the Westin, then get to JHM.

Island Air WILL give your seats away if you aren't properly checked in and present when they say you must be. And during the holidays, there will be people hoping for seats. You are scheduled on the last flight of the day, too...........ain't no options from West Maui if you miss this one.

I also think you're turned around about where things are around Hana. The black sand beach is before you get to Hana, not after it.

Westchester (LA), CA
Level Contributor
25 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight trip to Hana 12/19 and return to W Maui by 4:00ish

If my flight is at 5:25, what time do I need to be at the West Maui airport (dropping off car first?) I originally had rsvp for Mama's at 2:30, but concierge at my Kauai resort thought I should move it up?? If I can drop off luggage before check-in, I would do that, but how much time should be alloted to see pools at Gulch and hike trails, etc. Also, would the black sand beach be a possibility for snorkeling (or just swimming) before we drive back to Mama's and where would we be able to rinse off before having lunch there? Thanks again, SoCalMom

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,157 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight trip to Hana 12/19 and return to W Maui by 4:00ish

Aloha,

Wainanapanapa is hardly even good to swim at most of the time, much less snorkel! It's VERY rough much of the time. And the "sand" is really rocks.

I am afraid you don't understand how far apart West Maui and Hana are. You will have to check in no less than 2 hours ahead of your IA flight, and yes, you could go there, check in, drop the bags, and then go grab a bite or go down the hill and return the car. But if you are going to have bags with you from your trip to Hana, I also rec that you makes sure they all can be hidden ion the trunk when you are at lunch.

If I'm spending about 50 to 75 bucks a PERSON for lunch, I sure as heck don't want to rush it. Frankly, I'd cancel Mama's totally.

Westchester (LA), CA
Level Contributor
25 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight trip to Hana 12/19 and return to W Maui by 4:00ish

I was saying 4:00 ish for a 5:25 flight. Thanks SW for your reminders. I did forget Black sand beach was before Hana going south. Should I try to drive all the way through past Hana and do hiking on Monday, then leave by early morning in order to enjoy a little time at Black sand or other beach on Tuesday before heading back at lunch at Mama's? Thanks for warnings on Hawaiian Air. I didn't think about being able to leave luggage at Westin overnight. Will that take any time out of drive back to Airport to retrieve luggage? Thanks again.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,001 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight trip to Hana 12/19 and return to W Maui by 4:00ish

The cottage (at MM 25-26) is about 8 miles before Hana (20 min driving time), and then Oheo Gulch is another 10 miles/ 20 minutes past Hana.

The Pipiwai trail hike isn't that strenuous, but there are some short uphill sections, and you need to be fairly steady to get to the falls as you have to cross a narrow stream (balancing on the rocks to cross it.) Take lots of water with you. It's 4 miles return,so you would need to allow about 2 hours to hike it ... that would give you time to stop and admire some of the scenery along the way.

You'll need to allow 2 hours minimum to get from Oheo Gulch to Mama's. If you wanted to do it all in one day, it's going to look like this:

- leave the cottage at 7 a.m., arrive Oheo Gulch 7:40, hike for 2 hours, then spend 20 minutes going to see the pools, leave Oheo Gulch at 10:15, arrive Mama's by 12:15. You'll need to leave Mama's around 3 to get to the airport, drop off your car and check in. Since you don't need 2 hours and 45 minutes for lunch, you could move your lunch reservation to a later time, making your morning less rushed.

It is a lot to pack into one day and you might have a hard time enjoying it since you'll have one eye on your watch all day ... I would take the least important thing off the list and enjoy the others at a more relaxed pace.

p.s. didn't see sw's posts before I posted this ... looks like you are going to have to allow more time than I mentioned to get from Mama's to the airport.

Edited: 06 December 2011, 01:42
Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,157 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overnight trip to Hana 12/19 and return to W Maui by 4:00ish

Aloha,

Hawaiian doesn't fly out of Kapalua airport. You might be booked on a codeshare ticket, perhaps.

the Westin will not allow you to leave bags there---I though perhaps you were keeping a room there.......if you check out to go to Hana, they won't keep your bags. No way, no how......too much liability and you aren't a guest.

I think you are trying to do too much in a very short time, and during a very busy time here. Again-I'd skip Mama's totally, get back over to the West side by 2 or so and just relax a little before your flight. If you got back about then, you could go check your bags with Island Air early and then run up to Napili or down to Kaanapali for a little R&R.

If you do it this way--You will prob have to have the car back by 4:00 or so to get a ride up to JHM.

Missouri
Level Contributor
33 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overnight trip to Hana 12/19 and return to W Maui by 4:00ish

Aloha,

I totally agree with everything that SWmarket has said! Even if you check out of the condo early to go to the 7 pools and do some hiking you will have little time left to really enjoy the beauty of Hana. We have done the Pipiwai trail with kids and with stopping along the way to observe the waterfalls etc the hike took a long time.

Skip Mama's for sure. Also, sometimes there are accidents on Honoapiilani highway back towards Kapula that can cause hours of delay. Hopefully, that would not happen.

Good luck and have fun!

Edited: 06 December 2011, 02:42
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
359 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overnight trip to Hana 12/19 and return to W Maui by 4:00ish

Having just done the overnight Hana stay last week, I would not dream of going to the pools, hiking Pipiwai in the morning and then driving back to Mama's and then to the airport by 4:00. There would be no room for traffic, accidents, etc. We got to the pools at 8:30 (did not walk the trail) then drove back to our cottage in Hana, took showers, and left there at 11:00. We made only one brief stop for lunch and got back to Mama's area around 2:30. Our stop might have been around 35-45 minutes. I would say that you need bare minimum 1.5 hours at Mama's to enjoy the meal and their beach area. Do the black sand beach on the drive down to Hana area. You really should have rented a place closer to Hana to do the pools in the morning.