We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip To Lanai

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
275 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip To Lanai

We are a family of four. I have two teenage children aged 16 & 15. We will be staying in Kehei for two weeks.

I have researched that you can take a tour (i.e. Trilogy) or DIY via the ferry. We like to budget for a number of activities. I am trying to develop a budget for our upcoming trip which has us arriving on December 23rd.

To help with the budget I am considering taking the ferry to Lanai for the day. We are also investigating an excursion to Molokini. Trilogy among a few others are on our radar for this trip.

I am note really interested in renting a jeep in Lanai.

Questions:

1.) Hulopo'e Beach appears to be very popular once on Lanai. Is there any concerns with seasonally higher / rougher conditions in December for snorkeling? I understand the whether its a DIY tour or through a company I will have the same weather unknowns.

2.) I have read about limited parking in Lahaina. Would like directions or recommendations for parking. We would like catch the 9:15 ferry and return on the 16:30 one.

3.) Can we rent just fins (for snorkeling) in Lanai or should we do this on Maui? We are bringing our own goggles and snorkels.

Is there anything I am missing?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip To Lanai

We did this, this past April, based in Kihei also, taking the ferry. You might want to check if its also running from Maalea which would save you a drive, I think it used to?(but not sure on this).

1. For any place you will have to scope out the conditions on the day, which will vary on all sort of conditions, not just weather but tides and wind direction.

2. If you drive into Lahaina you will see plenty of places with parking, I'm not sure directions as such are needed, other than drive into Lahaina and then turn left towards the ocean! Get a map and find a place near the harbour. We parked about 5-10 minutes walk away and paid about $10 for the day, Dickenson St probably, just had a look on Streetview I think it must be the lot at the intersection with Wainee or the next lot (right next to it) down Dickenson.

3. Bring everything you need. Everything. That includes fins, food, suncream, beach chairs, etc. There is a small shop at the harbor but it didnt have much in it at all. We brought two coolers and had a BBQ on the beach, which is excellent with shade, restrooms, showers and picnic tables but you cant guarantee you'll get a space. We were there in off season.

FWIW on a previous trip we did a snorkel trip to Lanai, I think with Paragon. That was good also, but we decided we wanted more time at that great beach, plus its obviously substantially cheaper.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
48,142 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip To Lanai

Aloha,

You gut was correct, Joe--the ferry from Maalaea didn't last long, only about a year. The only ferry option is Expeditions' original one from Lahaina Harbor.

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
275 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip To Lanai

Thank-you both for your responses.

Do you think it is necessary to pre-purchase my ferry tickets far in advance? I would prefer to see what the weather is like a day or two before buying.

May invest in an inexpensive cooler once we arrive. What a great idea for beach picnics.

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
48,142 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip To Lanai

Aloha,

With a two week stay, you have some flexibility on booking. Do consider going after NY's Day--things will slow down to a point after about the 2nd or 3rd. On the other hand, if you leave it that late, and we get a storm, you will be out of luck. Xmas week itself will likely sell out ahead of time for the better ferry times.

There are some great Hawaiian print collapsible coolers available at Long's--they make a nice reminder of your trip, too!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip To Lanai

May invest in an inexpensive cooler once we arrive. What a great idea for beach picnics.

------------

Assuming you are staying in a condo, investigate the cupboards there before heading to the shops, every condo I've been in has usually had several coolers, chairs, fins etc. These are usually from previous occupants, last time we left a boogie board for example.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,075 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip To Lanai

I think you got most of your questions answered, but here is a link to the info I usually give for daytrips to Lana`i:

tripadvisor.com/…36634130

Winter surf conditions are generally better at Hulopo`e Beach than in the summer.

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
275 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip To Lanai

A big thank-you to all.

drvalgemae, hoping you can clarify something for me.

"Once on Lana'i you can also take a nice short hike up to Pu'u Pehe Overlook (Sweetheart Rock), where you will have great views of Maui and Kaho'olawe. There are also great tidal pools to check out around the beach." (drvalgemae, 2011)

The link you provided had a few things that our family would like to try. Is it true Sweetheart Rock and the tidal pools are close to the beach? Can you provide a little guidance on how we would actually find them?

joeintheuk, you make a very good point. We are staying in a condo and understand that there are some 'items' left there that we can use. We shall do an inventory first before buying ;)

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip To Lanai

Yes, Sweetheart rock and the tidal pools are close to the beach. Very easy to find. Take the trail to your left when facing the ocean.

We took the ferry and did the Triology tour to Lanai. We enjoyed both trips. The beach is an easy walking distance from the harbor, and it is a great beach for playing in the water, and the snorkeling was amazing. No lifeguard, but there are restroom facility, outdoor shower, and quite a few BBQ pits. The next time, I would also bring a cooler, and have our own picnic. The last time we went on the ferry, we walked to the Four Season's, and had lunch at their restaurant.

In Lahaina, the ferry people will tell you where to park, and you can leave your car there for the day. I think we paid $10 for parking.

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
275 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip To Lanai

I just wanted to say thank-you for all that responded and helped make our visit to Lanai a memorable one.

We visited Lanai on 27-Dec-11. Here is a summary of our trip:

1.) Pre-purchased tickets on line. 09:15 ferry from Lahaina, 16:30 return ferry.

2.) ~1 hour drive from Kamaole Sands to the harbor in Lahaina. Just plugged in the Pioneer Inn address into the GPS.

3.) I paid $10 for the day at a little parking lot a couple blocks away (behind Maui Wave Riders). Paid someone at a house across the alley. May family were joking with me asking if I also gave them the keys to the car. They had me second guessing my decision at first. Car was fine all day!

4.) I purchased the tickets but my wife ended up picking them up while I found parking. They never asked for ID, YMMV.

5.) We were one of the first in line and picked our seats on the top deck facing the rear of the ferry. There are only three seats wide so I just picked the row behind my family. Easy.

6.) Nice boat ride out. It took approximately 45 minutes. No motion sickness issues at all for the family (trip back was different).

7.) Leaving Lahaina watch for whale watching vessels in the water. We were lucky to see a couple whales on our trip out (albeit a ways off in the distance). We did see one breach the water (spectacular).

8.) Arrived at Lanai and walked ~10 minutes to the beach. There are signs to point you in the right direction.

9.) Beautiful beach. We did notice a different sand and also little acorn or chestnut like thingy's that fell from the trees. They could be a bit hard on the feet if you stepped on them the right way.

10.) Trilogy tours had what seemed to be two different tours come through while we were there. Best snorkeling was when they were not in the water as it got a bit crowded.

11.) Best snorkeling was to the right of the beach (standing on the beach looking out into the water) and around the rocks. Amazing. I had never seen so many fish in one area. We went out three times and saw something different each time.

12.) We packed a lunch and it worked great!

13.) Ferry ride back was quite rough. We were on the 16:30 ferry back. We went to the top deck to sit outside again. The ferry staff warned us that it would be quite rough and we would definitely get wet! We sat inside on the top level. My wife and one daughter took gravel while we were sailing back. In hind sight they should have taken it earlier. It was pretty rough and they nearly didn't make it back ;) Saw spinner dolphins on the way back. Awesome.

Overall, we had a great day. Thanks again to all of you!

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
48,142 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trip To Lanai

Aloha,

Thanks for coming back and filling us in!! So glad it all worked out for you and that you had a great time.

I should have warned you about the 4:30 ride.......it is rough almost always. I usually rec the 1845 one instead for that reason. Sorry I let ya' down!