We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary

Minnesota
Level Contributor
75 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary

My group of five adults is departing for Maui on Christmas Eve. We will be staying in Maui through Dec 30, fly to Oahu on the morning of Dec 31, spend the day, and fly back to Minnesota on Dec 31 at 11pm.

I'd love any input you all have to offer on our itinerary. I'm mostly interested in known if any parts of my plan don't work for the time of year or season. I've been to Maui once before, staying in the same general area of West Maui -- Honokowai -- and renting a van. Here it is:

Sun, December 25

Breakfast – Gazebo restaurant Napili (I did call to make sure they were open)

Rent snorkel equipment and maybe stay up in Napili/Kapalua area enjoy the beaches

Late afternoon supper grilling out at the condo

Mon, December 26 -- Upcountry Day

Paia

Makawao

lunch at Haliimaile General Store

(or) dessert at Komoda Bakery

Kula Botanical Garden

Lavendar Farm

Surfing Goat Dairy

Sunset at Haleakala

(or) Tedeschi Winery

Tues, December 27

Snorkel -- maybe drive to south Maui or Iao Valley area

Wander around Lahaina in the afternoon

Old Lahaina Luau -- three of the people

(looking for something for the other two to do...??)

Wed, December 28

Considering Road to Hana, but if we are too tired of driving, maybe go to south Maui or Iao Needle area instead...hit a few museums

Thurs, December 29

Two people in our group are going to Molokai for the day

Other people just do what floats their boat

Fri, December 30

Hang out in Lahaina or do some other "last day" stuff that we didn't hit in the previous days

Maui Brewing Company

Sat, December 31 -- travel by bus

Pearl Harbor/Missouri/Arizona

Iolani Palace Grounds (palace closed this day but grounds are pretty and nice to walk around)

Waikiki Beach till we head back to the airport

I would especially love input on the Oahu day. We are not looking for any New Year's Eve parties but would instead like to see Waikiki Beach and relax at a simple, but yummy, restaurant and do a little wandering. What would be the best area of Waikiki for this?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
48,232 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary

Aloha,

AFAIK, all the grocery stores are going to be closed Xmas Day--so you will have to shop after you arrive on the 24th. Foodland is open until 11, not sure about Safeway and Times.

I don't know if Hali'imaile (which I LOVE) is open for lunch on Monday-have you checked with them?

For the 2 not going to the luau, look at 'Ulalena. Wonderful show--buy show only tickets, not the dinner packages.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,982 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary

Waikiki will be packed on New Year's Eve. Hard to say what places you may be able to just walk into and have dinner without reservations. The hamburger joints and places like Lulu's will be busy but not the kind of restaurant that will take reservations. Are you taking public transportation?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
75 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary

Thanks for the input so far!

I did call Safeway last week and they said they were going to be opening on Christmas Day at 8am, so I should be covered on that front. Thanks for the heads up on Hali'imaile...I will call them as well.

In terms of Waikiki, we really just don't want to do a huge buffet or party dinner. Are there any street vendors or food trucks around Waikiki? That would be good with us, too. Or do you think we really need to call and reserve somewhere? And if so, where is a good place? We are going to be using public transportation. Again, thanks for the input.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
48,232 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary

Aloha,

Ah!! Glad you got the word from Safeway.

There have been tons of ads for a big 'street party' type thing at Aloha Tower Marketplace, it would be easy to get to via the bus.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,168 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary

Think about the Lavender Farm instead of the Kula Botanical Garden. There is no charge to roam their gardens and what a variety of plants (non lavender plants that is) they have.

Tedeschi Winery grounds close at 3:30pm. We love sunset at the summit.

Do drive north of Kapalua to mile marker 38.5 and watch the Blow Hole. Don't continue on the road past the blow hole, return to Kapaula.

Beautiful views.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,044 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary

mimmet,

as far as Ohau, when we went to see Pearl Harbour, we stayed the night at the Hilton Village. Yes, it is pretty much a Village.. It is beautiful with pools, shops and restaurants. Waikiki Beach you can literaly spend the whole day there. Make reservations for dinner, call a few days ahead. Here is a view of the Hilton. These hotels are all connected to the Waikiki Beach and a whole lot of restaurants. All the info is in this website, then you could do additional research by going to the Hilton website. It was very busy when we stayed there in June, I can imagine what it will be like during x-mas/new years... have fun

oh, and this Hilton is not too far from pearl Harbour.

wizardpub.com/oahu/orhiltonhawaiianvillage.h…

djb

Edited: 19 December 2011, 13:55
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,044 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary

mimmet,

why not rent a car? just noticed you are using public transportaion. May be easier, have them drop you off at the Hilton and spend the day there after Pearl Harbour. Get your Pearl Harbour tickets early in the morning. It is first come first serve. they will sell out.

djb

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary

Are you checking into a hotel just for the day on Oahu if not what are you going to do with your luggage? If you use the bus you will not be able to carry it on the bus.

I know there is a service that will pick up your luggage and store it and bring it back to you at the airport but the name escapes me.

We like Ezogiku on Kalakaua ave for good ramen and gyoza very casual. Also there was a falafel cart in the Waikiki Town Center Puka Dog is also there.

This is just my opinion but I think it's sad that Safeway is open on xmas day I know it's a tourist area but I know from experience I work in a grocery store and xmas day is the only day we close. It's nice to know you can spend that day with your family again just my opinion and not trying to hurt anybody's feelings.

Edited: 19 December 2011, 14:41
NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary

Here you go.

www.alohaairportdeliveryandstorage.com/

Minnesota
Level Contributor
75 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary

Thanks for all the input and comments. Yes, we are storing our luggage with Aloha Airport Delivery; it's gotten some good reviews and it's cheaper than a room just for the day. I know Waikiki is going to be crazy that day, so we should be quite tired for the plane ride home. :) I'll check into the Hilton area and Kalakaua Ave....that restaurant sounds just like what we're hoping to find.

Interestingly enough, we didn't go to see the blowhole last time we were there. We drove around the side of north Maui -- yes, one of the forbidden roads. Eek! By the time we got around to the blowhole area we were just too wiped to stop. Won't be doing that again! It was gorgeous but WAAAAAY worse than road to Hana. I don't regret the experience, however.

And FWIW, I agree about grocery stores being open on Xmas day....I'm just rather thankful this year is all. ;)