We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Wailea - upgrade?

Sydney
Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Wailea - upgrade?

I have just booked in a Garden Room at the grand wailea (can't wait!!) and they then offered a possible upgrade for the location of the room for $29/night.

To those that have stayed there - do you think it would be worthwhile to take an upgrade in order to be closer to the pool/lagoon?

If we don't choose an upgrade, are they likely to put us in the back of the hotel and only give the good rooms to those paying extra?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Wailea - upgrade?

Their rooms are several hundren dollars per night, so I am surprised that they have a $29/night upgrade, and not sure how much better $29 will get you.

This resort is huge, so if they can get you closer to the pool/lagoon area, I would do it. Some of the rooms are indeed much closer to the pool area than others.

My husband forgot his sunglasses once, and it took him 15 minutes to go get it from our room. We had to take two different elevators to get to the pool from our room.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,654 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Wailea - upgrade?

sydney,

if they offered a 29.00 upgrade to the lagoon/pool wing... TAKE IT...

My experience in the Wailea Wing was noisy at night and early morning... The parking garage is directly behind the Wailea and the Haleakala Wing. When we stayed at the GW I requested the lagoon Wing ocean view, when we got there, they put us in the Wailea Wing ocean view, payed the same price.. and it was not cheap. Wonderful view in all buildings but did not like the fack that the garage was directly behing us. I would take the upgrade...

here is a website to see the buildings...

www.wizardpub.com/maui/mrgrandwailea.html

Edited: 19 December 2011, 13:39
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,028 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Wailea - upgrade?

They will give you the room level you pay for. Will 29.00 give you a great upgrade? Probably not but I would call and ask them what kind of upgrade I was paying extra for. Then you can decide whether it's worth it or not.

LA
Level Contributor
10,096 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Wailea - upgrade?

It's very hard to believe $29 will get you a better room at Grand Wailea. They are known for nickel-and-dimeing for everything. $29 usually buys a burger/fries/ and a soda for lunch there.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,654 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Wailea - upgrade?

it may not be a great upgrade, but if you are staying in the Wailea wing or the Haleakala or Molokini wing, you can hear the parking garage, if they are upgrading you to the lagoon wing, in itself is an upgrade whether you have an ocean view or a pool view or garden. You won't hear the garage. Trust me! It's loud.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Wailea - upgrade?

I'm 99% sure that the OP is talking about a "NOR1" upgrade. NOR1 is a company that offers a system for hotels to maximize revenue with their inventory. You are simply 'requesting' an upgrade for an agreed fee, it is not guaranteed. You get the upgrade if that room would otherwise sit empty. It's not particularly enticing at the Grand Wailea. Some have had luck upgrading to a nice room in the Napua tower for ~$150/night, a significant discount compared to booking that room direct.

Here's a very relevant MilePoint thread:

milepoint.com/forums/…

Short story: guy thought about NOR1, decided against, kinda upgraded with a partial ocean anyways (he did have the entry-level elite status, Silver).

As far as the "Close Proximity" upgrade, that's not an upgrade, just a cash grab IMO. Just contact the hotel in advance and let them know where you'd prefer to be situated. That should be sufficient.

Sydney
Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Wailea - upgrade?

For $29/night they will give you a room located near the pool (if it is available at check-in, if its not available - you don't pay anything extra).

By the sounds of things, it would be a good move, wouldn't want to be stuck next to the parking garage!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,654 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Wailea - upgrade?

absolutly!!! i would take it, if it means lagoon/pool bldg. cant go wrong.. good luck. but Sydney, just so you know, there are NO bad rooms at the Grand Wailea. Its just the parking garage that is noisy.. we got over it after looking at the view...

enjoy!!!!!

djb

Edited: 19 December 2011, 23:31
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,684 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Wailea - upgrade?

As has been said, call and qualify the upgrade. I have stayed at GW several times, including my honeymoon -- mostly b/c of points. We had an "upgraded" room each time. (Once in the Napua tower but I do not really know how that happened...) The second time we were in the Wailea wing, but down towards the corner rooms and no noise from the parking garage.

If an "upgrade" gets you nearer to the center of the hotel, then I think it would be worth it. Everything is just far away from everything else there ...

I would also guess that if you didn't like the "upgrade" they are offering, you could move back to the "regular" room and get your $29/night back...

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,654 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Wailea - upgrade?

I agree with konagirl. check to see exactly where the upgrade is. I would bet though it is probably better than a garden view.