We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see--Lahina-Hana-Sunset Cruise-Help!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
15 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
What to see--Lahina-Hana-Sunset Cruise-Help!

My boyfriend and I will be in Maui at the beginning of February. I'm planning a quiet day for our first day just hanging out by the resort and doing a snorkeling excursion. Then on Saturday doing a trip around the north end through Lahina and all the way around. We'll have Sunday open (may do Haliakela) and then do Hana on Monday. I was looking for some info though:

1) Is it worth going all the way around the north shore past Lahina read about the Blowhole and Olivine Pools, are these worth seeing?

2) Is the road around the north ok to travel as we are staying at the Grand Wailea?

3) Is it better to drive the Hana or do a tour? It'll only be us two so want us both to enjoy it.

4) Heard lots of stories of not leaving stuff in cars...what do you do with cameras and such then when you go swimming?

5) Any thoughts on doing one of the sunset cruises?

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,205 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see--Lahina-Hana-Sunset Cruise-Help!

1 & 2) It's worth driving north from Lahaina as far as the blowhole (stay well back of the blowhole if you hike down to it). The scenery is spectacular. If you have time (about 1 hour), do the Kapalua Coastal Trail hike from the Kapalua Bay parking area to Oneloa Beach kapalua.com/images/…Coastal_Trail_Q209.pdf

If Honolua Bay is calm, it's a great place to snorkel. …about.com/od/maui/ss/west_maui_north_2.htm

At the blowhole return the way you came, i.e. don't drive all the way around the north shore as the road is too dangerous (and rental car companies prohibit driving on it.) If you stop at the Olivine pools, again, be very cautious. People have been swept into the ocean from waves washing over the rocks.

3) We enjoyed driving to Hana on our own.

4) We don't take cameras with us when we are going to be swimming, unless we take turns swimming. For small stuff ... keys, credit cards & cash, you can buy a waterproof case that goes around your neck: www.abcstores.com/browse.cfm/4,2245.html (we put our stuff in a sealed baggie first, just in case of leaks.) You can buy a larger case which should hold a small camera, cell phone, etc.

5) The sunset cruises are great ... we went with Trilogy, but since you are staying in Wailea, I would take one out of S. Maui.

Edited: 07 January 2012, 01:13
Oregon
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see--Lahina-Hana-Sunset Cruise-Help!

I ditto everything Susan said. Also, explore the beaches that are south of the Grand Wailea. If the ocean is fairly calm and you've fallen in love with snorkeling, try it right in front of your hotel and down the road at Maluaka beach in front of the Makena Beach and Golf Resort. Enjoy that beach walk that goes up to Keawakapu beach and down to Polo Beach in front of the Fairmont.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,993 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to see--Lahina-Hana-Sunset Cruise-Help!

Driving too much further than the blow hole is prohibited by all major rental car companies. Great drive even if you have to turn around.

The Hana journey is a tough one. I've done it quite a few times and once on a tour. I did like the tour because you can learn things from the driver that you won't if you do it on your own. Of course, doing it on your own you will have the freedom to come and go as you please, stay as long at one stop as you want. Then you can turn around and come back when you want.

If you do it on your own, go to the Hana forum and check out the Top Questions on the right hand side of the page. All the info you need is right there at your fingertips for a wonderful journey. Plan on about a 12 hour day. Leave early and come back before sundown.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
15 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to see--Lahina-Hana-Sunset Cruise-Help!

Was also wondering, would like to do the crater, but not sure if we'll be able to get up for Sunrise, heard that the sunset is also pretty amazing and less crowded? Any thoughts on this?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
15 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to see--Lahina-Hana-Sunset Cruise-Help!

If we decide to do a tour for the road to Hana do you have any suggestions of companies to use? I've seen the Sky Trek listed on here, but too expensive for us.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,601 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to see--Lahina-Hana-Sunset Cruise-Help!

We love Sunset on the summit. Take a picnic and stay for some wonderful star gazing (it's cold after dark, dress warmly). The road down in the dark is easy, reflectors are well placed. Just watch for cows that will stand in the middle of the road.

Valley Isle gets good reviews for the Hana trip.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
56,438 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to see--Lahina-Hana-Sunset Cruise-Help!

Aloha,

I think you're trying to do too much. It sounds like you're only here for perhaps a week? I would toss either Hana or Haleakala off the plans this time.

Valley Isle Excursions does do a great job.

8. Re: What to see--Lahina-Hana-Sunset Cruise-Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2013, 10:18