We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Double Rainbows and Ne Ne .... November trip report...Part 3

Missouri
Level Contributor
82 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Double Rainbows and Ne Ne .... November trip report...Part 3

Aloha!

On Sunday we didn't see any turtles on our beach and the waves were wild and it was raining.. raining hard. When it brightened up a bit we saw the most beautiful double rainbow. First time I have ever seen one. The colors were very vivid. It would be there and then gone and then back again. Never seen anything like it.

We went back to Holy Innocents for the service and it was lovely. Nice breeze, nice service. A man had brought his dog to church. We thought that was cute. When we got back to the condo we had a little beach and pool time.

Then we loaded up our kit and snacks and cold weather clothes and headed out on our Haleakela sunset adventure.

What a day!! I have to tell you that i was scared on that road. It was kind of a cloudy, windy day and every so often the clouds would be really low and it just made my nerves jangle! My hubby did a great job and, of course, when you can see where you are it isn't as scary. With the low clouds we couldn't see a thing and then all of a sudden there would be a cow right there by the car! We stopped at first at the Hosmer Trail. I wore my trusty poncho. We hiked along the trails and it was amazing. Huge eucalyptus trees. After that we went on to the summit. 10,023 feet at the very top. We walked around and honestly, I can't describe how awesome it is up there. And cold! We were well prepared though, coats, gloves, hats - the works!

We sat in the car and ate our sandwiches and did some people watching. We gently laughed at the people who were freezing in their shorts and t-shirts. Every once in a while we would get out and walk around and always see differences in the landscape because of the cloud cover and sunshine etc. We couldn't see the crater because of the low clouds but that was okay. It was all so beautiful we didn't mind so much.

Believe people when they tell you how cold it is at the summit - the wind was insane! At sunset there were a few people around but not a lot. There were lots of Ne Ne however and in spite of the "Don't feed" signs one couple pulled up in their car and were throwing food to the birds. The actual sunset was more beautiful than I can tell you. It was otherworldly quiet and peaceful up there. One of the most intensely wonderful experiences I have ever had. Huddling against the wind with 2 of my most favorite people in the whole world as we watched the sunset atop a volcano...priceless!

Then we had to drive back down again... dark, low clouds, cows. Yikes!

A fun thing: Our potato chip bag popped open on the way up to the summit. A little science lesson!

Next day, after breakfast and our beach walk and chatting with a nice couple from L.A. we set out for a little jaunt and took our daughter to the blowhole which was , again, totally amazing. We spent time on the beach at Napili. Nice beach, lots of families having fun. Then we saw turtles.. life was good!

My hubby and I went to Aloha Mixed Plate. Great atmosphere but not overly thrilled with the food but we were glad we tried it. The place has a wonderful view!

That night we went to the luau at the Sheraton and had a great time. it was a lot of fun. I wore my new sun dress which I had purchased in Lahaina. That hotel looks very nice. The food was absolutely delicious. Afterwards I said "the only thing I didn't care for was the salsa, it tasted really odd." My daughter said "did you not know that was salmon?" Of course, they thought that was pretty funny! The other family at our table were from Idaho and they were a fun bunch of people. There was so much food and it was sooo yummy! There were pina coladas and non-alcoholic pina coladas also. The entertainment was good and it was fun.

We had a really good time.

I don't know that we would do another luau but we have done it once anyway.

That's probably it for today.. more tomorrow!

The really cool thing about the island is the absolute beauty of the scenery. We were always exclaiming over something amazing. The sheer beauty is so awesome that you can't really put it into words. Anything you say seems so inadequate. I don't see how you can visit and have a timetable because we were always stopping on the spur of the moment to look at something and it took us some time to get anywhere at all... even just up the road to Safeway!

Thank you and good night now!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Double Rainbows and Ne Ne .... November trip report...Part 3

Oh dear NYC20th!

What a LOVELY trip report!! I love how you love everything! And I feel precisely as you do about the scenery. I dream about Maui.... keep up the great reports!!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,434 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Double Rainbows and Ne Ne .... November trip report...Part 3

Hun, your reports are so viivid and greatly appreciated...what I love is your joy in other folks time on island. You get what you give.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
808 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Double Rainbows and Ne Ne .... November trip report...Part 3

wonderful!! I feel like I was there with you... such a nice way of writing you have and you enjoyed Maui the way it was meant to be enjoyed.. without a timetable.. watches out the window on Maui... unless you have a tee time or tour booked of course!

can't wait for the next installation!

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
24,804 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Double Rainbows and Ne Ne .... November trip report...Part 3

Aloha,

Mahalo for the report.

Yes , that lomi-lomi salmon sure looks like salsa

Aloha

Missouri
Level Contributor
82 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Double Rainbows and Ne Ne .... November trip report...Part 3

You are all so sweet. I love that you are letting me relive our wonderful vacation!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,545 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Double Rainbows and Ne Ne .... November trip report...Part 3

I totally agree about how beautiful the sunsets can be when vied from the summit. Loving the reports..can't wait for the next one.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,434 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Double Rainbows and Ne Ne .... November trip report...Part 3

HAHA....we don't "let" you relive...we demand you do and love it!

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Double Rainbows and Ne Ne .... November trip report...Part 3

✩✩✩✩✩ just when I thought the tilogy was over, excited it's a saga

Missouri
Level Contributor
82 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Double Rainbows and Ne Ne .... November trip report...Part 3

What's funny about that, Keonifoxen, is that my husband just came in from a college basketball game and I told him that I had written 3 installments and I have one more to go and he just laughed so hard!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Double Rainbows and Ne Ne .... November trip report...Part 3

Can't wait for installment #4, sounds like an utterly fantastic trip, you didn't even let the rain get you down, you marveled at the rainbow instead...love that attitude!

Edited: 11 January 2012, 04:37