We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August in Kapalua?

Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
August in Kapalua?

With our son starting high school in the Fall we can no longer pull him out of school for an extra week so we are tied to Spring break and Summer trips until college. However no spring break trip

this year :-( so we are thinking about going in late August. I have never wanted to go to Hawaii in the Summer because the summers in Washington are so beautiful and we wait so long for them (October until July 5th) that we want to enjoy our state during this short time. That being said I don't think I can wait until 2013 to get back to Maui.

So here I am in the preliminary planning stage considering staying in the Kapalua area. We finally stepped out of our Kaanapali comfort zone and spent some time in the Kiehi/Wailea area on our trip last spring and really like it so I thought August would be a good time to check out Kapalua.

I remember reading the ocean currents change during different seasons but I don't remember the details.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August in Kapalua?

August should be great for Kapalua.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August in Kapalua?

Kapalua will be gorgeous in August and the ocean conditions should be fine. The winter north swells won't start to set up for quite a while. Kapalua will be a lot quieter than Ka'anapali and Kihei, but it is beautiful and you are an easy 15 minute drive down to Ka'anapali and Lahaina.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,976 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August in Kapalua?

bella, I feel you pain about leaving Wa in the summer...unless it's like last year when we didn't really HAVE a summer!

Kapalua should be sheer heaven in late August with lovely ocean conditions. Go for it!

Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August in Kapalua?

Glad to read this will be a good time to check out Kapalua! I always wanted to stay in this area and almost stayed there on one vacation but wasn't willing to chance the possibility of cloudier weather during spring break time. We are sunshine starved in Western Washington. Yeah it rains but not as much as people think. It is the persistent overcast sky that gets to us.

Any suggestions on where to stay? The only beachfront condo accommodations I am familiar with are way out of my new economy budget.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,996 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August in Kapalua?

Look at the Mauian. Also there are plenty of condo's in Napili, which is right next door to Kapalua. You may even look for condo's in Kahana, which is just a few minutes by car down the road from Kapalua.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
45,597 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: August in Kapalua?

Aloha,

Look at the Kapalua Villas, there can be some bargains there. Also look at Napili Kai, the Outrigger Royal Kahana.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: August in Kapalua?

You should still be able to find Napili condos on the beach for under $150 per night. Just keep googling Napili Sunset, Napili Shores, Napili Surf , the Mauian. The Napili Kai is high end but does do some specials. These are all on the sandy beach.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
45,597 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: August in Kapalua?

Aloha,

Make sure anything you book in August has AC............even Napili can be hot then. You may never need the AC, but you might well.

Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: August in Kapalua?

Thanks everyone! Although I'll miss not being there this spring I am excited to plan a trip and check out different accommodations in a new location.

Let the planning begin! :-)

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
188 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: August in Kapalua?

Welcome to the parents with kids group. Always paying the high price for everything and having to go when everyone goes. I would do it first thing when they get out of school. Early August would be good too if he isn't playing football. Kids and sports. Never ends.