We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin Ka'anapali Beach or Marriott Wailea

Idania Ramirez
11 posts
Save Topic
Westin Ka'anapali Beach or Marriott Wailea

Hi, will be in Maui for a week at the beginning of May. Trying to decide between the Westin and the Marriott. From what I have read, the Marriott does not have direct beach access and I'm not sure if that should be a deal breaker. The resort itself looks amazing. The Westin looks great, has direct beach access and it seems like there are a lot of restaurants within walking distance. There are 4 of us going, 2 couples in our 30s. Also, is it worth getting a package that includes breakfast? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin Ka'anapali Beach or Marriott Wailea

Here's a link the shows an aerial photo of the property

www.wizardpub.com/maui/mrwaileamarriott.html

As you can see, the Marriott is indeed oceanfront, but you'd need to walk to one of the beaches on the adjacent north or south corners of the property.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,483 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin Ka'anapali Beach or Marriott Wailea

I would take the Sheraton Ka'anapali and the Hyatt Regency over the Westin.

If you choose a hotel in West Maui, don't include breakfast, there are too many good breakfast spots to be tied down to the hotel.

If you look at the Hyatt, Westin Resort and Sheraton Maui in wizard, you can see how cramped the Westin is on their property, vs how spread out the Hyatt and Sheraton are on theirs.

http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mauwestmap.html

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin Ka'anapali Beach or Marriott Wailea

I would take the Westin Resorts-we have been there over ten times-will be there in two weeks-the beautifully landscaped ground, five pools, close to shopping and restaurants. I took the photograph of sunset last Feb. from Tropica, their restaurant on the beachwalk.

Edited: 15 January 2012, 23:12
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,939 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westin Ka'anapali Beach or Marriott Wailea

The Wailea Marriott is a wonderful hotel, recently renovated and sits above two of the best snorkeling beaches on Maui. I hear the new infinity pools is to die for. Lots of restaurants within walking distance or a short drive into Kihei. That said, taking your age into consideration you may have a better time in Kaanapali.

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Westin Ka'anapali Beach or Marriott Wailea

If those were the only two choices, I would choose the Marriott. We have stayed at the Westin Resort and of all the places we have stayed in Hawaii, it is at the bottom of the list. I agree Scottca075 that the Sheraton or Hyatt would be better if you want to stay on Ka'anapali Beach.

Breakfast options tend to cramp your style and sometimes keep you later at the hotel when you want to be out exploring the island. There are plenty of good breakfast options in the Ka'anapali area.

Idania Ramirez
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Westin Ka'anapali Beach or Marriott Wailea

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm looking into the Sheraton and the Hyatt now. Definitely leaning towards staying on Ka'anapali Beach. Really appreciate the input on the breakfast options, hadn't really considered that it might be a bit restrictive to be tied to the hotel for breakfast....very good points!

Idania Ramirez
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Westin Ka'anapali Beach or Marriott Wailea

AliasMK, why is the Westin at the bottom of the list for you?

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
133 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Westin Ka'anapali Beach or Marriott Wailea

We stay at the Hyatt every year and love it. We always get the package inclusive of breakfast. Some have said not to get the package that includes the breakfast, but why not? The resort breakfast is very good and handy if you don't feel like leaving so early in the morning to go somewhere else. And, you don't need to feel obligated to go to the buffet every day. At least you will have the option to stay on property. Go when you want to and go off property when you feel like it.

Good Luck

9. Re: Westin Ka'anapali Beach or Marriott Wailea

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2013, 10:21