We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay: honua kai or the westin resort

Dallas
12 posts
Save Topic
where to stay: honua kai or the westin resort

I know these two are very different. My 2 sisters, and our spouses are planning a trip to maui in may of this year and are having a hard time picking a place. I have stayed at the ritz in maui before and loved it but want a better location this time. which one would you recommend?

thanks

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
582 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay: honua kai or the westin resort

These two were my choices too and I ended up booking westin resort. I loved the look of the rooms at honua Kai (much more modern) but in the end location did it for me. Westin is closer to lahaina and right next to whalers village. Of course we will have a car but if want to have some drinks with dinner, then u can't be driving. So having whalers village next door will be very nice. The rooms at westin do have fridges so we can still buy some snacks and breakfast stuff to reduce costs. Another reason for the decision is we don't have kids. In my opinion condo type resorts tend to have way more families. Either way I'm sure you'll be very happy, but thought I'd send along my thoughts!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,667 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay: honua kai or the westin resort

tropical, The Westin Resort (and Villas) are north of Black Rock, sitting beside the Kahekili Beach Park. Maui Westin is next to the Whalers village.

For OP, both of the condo/resorts that you have asked about a very nice and are next to each other(vacant land between). Others will chime in soon with information for you.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,604 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay: honua kai or the westin resort

I'd take the Honua Kai over the Westin Resort, but then I would also take the Sheraton, especially the rooms up on Black Rock, and the Hyatt Regency over the Westin.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay: honua kai or the westin resort

<tropical, The Westin Resort>

No, the Westin Resirts is next to the Whaler's Village-just south.

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay: honua kai or the westin resort

Step on in your decision making should be to make sure that you have the right place in mind.

The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas are the condos north of Black Rock.

The Westin Maui Resort & Spa is the hotel south of Black Rock next door to Whaler's Village. The names are very confusing, I agree.

Either Honua Kai and the Westin Villas would be a good choice. In my experience, I would not choose the Westin Resort and Spa (hotel).

Dallas
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay: honua kai or the westin resort

I am talking about the Westin resort and spa not the villas. Why would you not choose here.

Thanks for all the replys

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,604 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay: honua kai or the westin resort

I agree with AliasMK, here is part of my review of the Westin Maui Resort & Spa.

"Maybe my expectations were way too high after a week at the Halekulani, but this property was very very average. I stayed here instead of Wailea (Fairmont or Four Seasons) because I wanted to be closer to Lahaina this trip.

There was just nothing special or magical here, it could have been the Westin in St. Louis. The staff wasn't rude, they just weren't anything. Almost no one went out of their way especially to be helpful or friendly, except for the wait staff at the pool and the gal who cleaned our room.

The restaurants were eh. The room was eh. Even the highly touted pool was eh. After going to the Napili Kai Beach Resort for breakfast I wound up wishing I had stayed there instead.

There was nothing horribly bad about the hotel, but nothing "oh wow" either. "

What I didn't say then, but will expand upon now, is that the resort is cramped. It is jammed onto its foot print. They've very badly used their space. I'd tear it down and start over. The buildings are right on top of the pool.

And then the issue of the rooms. We had two "Deluxe Ocean View" rooms, not just Ocean View, but Deluxe Ocean View which to my mind should be a better room than just Ocean View rooms. I was mistaken

Deluxe Ocean View puts you on the alley between the hotel and Whaler's Village. At 6AM every morning you could hear the "beep-beeping" of the garbage trucks and the banging of the dumpsters or the colorful language of the delivery truck drivers. Not what one expects in "deluxe" accommodations.

Look at the Sheraton, Hyatt Regency and Westin Maui in this link and you can see what I mean about the Sheraton and Hyatt using their land better.

http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mauwestmap.html

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay: honua kai or the westin resort

At first blush scottca075's comments may sound esoteric, but they aren't and I agree with him/her. Our room was pecularly small and we thought that the highway of people going back and forth across the front of the hotel to get to Whaler's Village was noisy and distracting. There was no quiet place to it. Not impressed.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay: honua kai or the westin resort

Honua Kai hands down...if you were choosing between Westin Villlas and Honua Kai then it would be a toss up. We stayed at the Villas and loved it! Honua kai gets great reviews too!

Level Contributor
36,976 posts
946 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to stay: honua kai or the westin resort

We loved our 6 night stay at Honua Kai this past June! :).