We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Papakea Construction Project 4/12-9/14

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
575 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Papakea Construction Project 4/12-9/14

I just came across information today regarding a three-phase spalling project at Aston Papakea: chasenrainbows.com/properties/…

I did a search and found no other details other than what is provided on Chase'n Rainbows website.

We were contemplating a 12/21/12 check-in at the L building. That is the estimated date of completion for that building and that phase. I am feeling a bit nervous about the possibility of continued construction during our stay if the project is unfinished. However, am I correct to assume that work would cease during the holidays anyway? My worst fear is that we would have an inaccessible lanai.

Even though we were looking forward to returning to our favorite unit in this building, would you suggest we search other buildings or locations?

Thanks for your help!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
49,723 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Papakea Construction Project 4/12-9/14

Your assumption is as good as anyone's about stopping for the holidays, but it's a good one. Maui and Hawaii construction jobs in general are notorious for being completed late. This is one thing I wouldn't count on.

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Papakea Construction Project 4/12-9/14

I don't doubt what you're saying about constructions projects being late on Maui. But that is going to be really difficult for the site managed units and owners that handle their own rentals, guessing when the actual start/finish/available date is.

Yikes.

Edited: 16 January 2012, 02:44
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
64,984 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Papakea Construction Project 4/12-9/14

Aloha,

Much will depend on the contractor and the weather through the project. The Whaler is a good example of how poorly things CAN go.

There won't be any major construction at Papakea (or any other resort) during the holidays. Stoppage is usually about ten days to 2 weeks, and is built into the project.

Yes, you could end up with an inaccessible lanai..........frankly, I wouldn't go for it unless you get a nice discount.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
575 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Papakea Construction Project 4/12-9/14

Thank you; I appreciate your speculation and insight. With the risks to consider, it may be time for us to venture away from Papakea this December.

Edited: 16 January 2012, 23:08
lake forest park
Level Contributor
186 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Papakea Construction Project 4/12-9/14

I don't know anything about Papakea but I have been at a renovation during a stay in Maui. It is a constuction zone. I think most condo owners or management companies forewarned guests if there was a problem with construction but not all. I'm not an expert on Maui but I would guess the project will not be finished. Look at the Whaler for example. Listen to SW. I know planning a trip can be stressful but it WILL work out....Aloha

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
64,984 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Papakea Construction Project 4/12-9/14

Aloha,

Wander down the way to Maui Kaanapali Villas, Never........you may never go back to Papakea, LOL!

Oldness raises another good point-staging areas for the equipment and material will also eat parking places fast. That stuff will be stored on property even when they shut down for the holidays.

I was at lunch at Cane & Taro today in Whaler's Village. The south tower of the Whaler is nowhere near done.........and I do mean "nowhere near". I don't know what their latest completion date is, but from what little I saw, it better be March at least.

Edited: 17 January 2012, 02:17
Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Papakea Construction Project 4/12-9/14

I hate to dis on Papakea, but I wouldn't want to be in the building that is having work done.

But, as far as comparing MKV and Papakea on equal days, I doubt you can get an updated, one bedroom waterfront unit at MKV for under $150?

Edited: 17 January 2012, 02:52
Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Papakea Construction Project 4/12-9/14

SW, how was Cane & Taro? They're still getting high middle ratings on yelp and urbanspoon. I want to give it another try during our time on Maui next month just because it's such a good location. Just don't want to be mistreated like we were last time

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
64,984 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Papakea Construction Project 4/12-9/14

Aloha,

Rex, it was really good. I know we have disagreed about the place before, but I think you will be happy.

I have had different friends in town lately, so have been out more than usual-C&T last week for dinner, Duke's for lunch, today lunch at C&T. Yikes, gotta have Nick throw the ball and ME chase it I keep eating like this!

C&T changed their menu again not too long ago--and I like the new one a lot. They have a nice balance of "familiar food", sandwiches, burgers, salads, and some sushi and sashimi again at lunch. I had the onion soup and coconut shrimp pupu for lunch today, my friend had the fish & chips. All were very good, good service as well.

Dinner last week was yummy......yummy.........OMG. Flash hot sauteed Opah crusted in Parmesan and Panko. I wanted to lick the plate. My friends had the filet and one had the Aku special. Our plates were spotless, LOL. Service was also very good.

They're still doing their early bird dinner special on some weeknights-you might give it a try. Be warned it's popular, people are lined up by 4:30 or so I hear.

Duke's was also good this past week. Had a waitress I've had before, prob didn't hurt. We were craving meat so it was burgers and steak tacos that day. Burgers were good and properly cooked-love the taro bread buns there.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Papakea Construction Project 4/12-9/14

Sounds great. We were probably gonna give it another try, you only reinforced it