We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Grannie trip part two

Friday Oct 21st

Up at 6:30 and after the morning ritual of coffee on the lanai it was down to breakfast. Today was our first try at the pre purchased morning buffet. It included; pancakes, bacon, corn beef hash, quiche, eggs, bread pudding, juice coffee, fish, bread for toast, cereal and sweet rolls. Breakfast is good especially when you purchase thru the room. I think it was $14.00 for two, it’s not anything special but good and it does the trick, especially easy for us with the grannies and the mobility issue, a lot easier than going all the way down to the van and getting in and out, that is quite a chore. After breakfast we did more shopping in the lobby. Each day they have tables set up with different local vendors selling their local wares. I bought turquoise earrings and a necklace, grannie2 bought a bracelet and necklace for my sister, a flower for my niece.

Then back to the room and then back down to the grounds for our lei making class, granny 2 and I participated while DH and grannie1 looked on. It was fun to make them and I made mine to match my dress, we got some good pictures. Back up to the room and then to the lobby for some music, they sang, played guitar and ukulele for about 15 minutes it was really nice. Then back to the room and sat on the lanai, this was a reoccurring theme. It was so cute, 2 little birds perched on the railing right in front of grannie1, she can barely see but she did see them and was delighted in their company, they stayed for around 5 minutes just looking at her.

Then we changed rooms we moved over closer toward black rock so now we could not see Whalers construction unless we craned our necks but could see black rock clearly from both lanais. Went to Cane and Taro to meet up with SW .It was so nice to finally meet her, the conversation was lively and interesting, she is just as witty and sharp as her posts reveal and such a sweet heart!. We ate coconut shrimp, and fish and chips (btw their fish and chips are VERY good worth going back just for that) grannie2 ordered french onion soup but when it came she decided to do the complaining, she said she did not know why it was covered with so much cheese and would not let anyone help her get the cheese off the top (SW tried at least 3 times) she kept mumbling and carrying on about that darn cheese. I realized sometimes she just wants to complain for the sake of complaining. When she was complaining I looked at SW and lifted my lava flow and she nodded with a grin of understanding for dealing with an aging parent. I had my first ever (and second) lava flow right then and there.Grannie2 ordered a tropical drink non alcoholic, we asked for something fun and it was nothing special of course, the one who is complaining usually doesn’t get what they want.

After Cane and Taro we went directly to the hula show at KBH, it was Friday night so tonight it was extra special, there were several troupes of dancers from all around the islands and lots of little ones “keikis” all the way up to adults. They had several costume changes and we stayed an hour it was really nice. Both grannies were so tired and falling asleep during the show but when we asked grannie2 if she wanted to leave she just smiled and said “I don’t care it’s up to you” they are both such troopers, again I noticed them both tapping their feet and this time granny1 was moving her hand like a choir director, so cute!. Up to room and got granny1 to bed but she was disoriented because of the room change…we will be up tonight for sure when she has to go to the bathroom and cant find it.

Pictures here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/…

Saturday Oct 22nd

Up at 5:30, letting the Grannies sleep, it is 8:00 and they are still asleep. We have gone through 3 pots of coffee (the little hotel ones) watching all of the traffic on the boardwalk and watching the Trilogy snuba tour prepare. It was fun to hear the Captain giving instructions to the other 2 crew members…he sounded a bit gruff telling them that if they were not loaded at five till eight to not wait for stragglers. Then when the passengers started boarding he was barking at them to all sit down. I know he has a job to do but sounded a bit harsh to me, maybe it’s still too early in the morning for me to be objective hahaha. To me it is so fun observing people walking by and their body language. Some people seem so happy to be here, others not so much. Then there are the die hard runners, one lady with “run” printed in hot pink on her black t-shirt ran past us back and forth several times in a one hour period. I understand the commitment but I am pretty lazy on vacation and enjoy just sitting and watching.

Breakfast today had portuguese sausage and noodles instead of rice and a different kind of fish. After breakfast we wandered around the lobby and then went to the note card making class. The guy teaching was also the guy that did the welcome breakfast and the pineapple cutting demonstration, born and raised on Maui. He is also a story teller and loves talking. He told us about his experience with the restoration of Kaho'olawe the island taken by the U.S. military for use as a target and training area at the start of WWII. It was very interesting to hear about his experiences.

Grannie2 and I then walked to Whalers Village and did a little shopping and got hot and thirsty so stopped at Hula Grill and had a mai tai (2) and mom had lemonade and we listened to the live music and enjoyed the breeze. I mentioned to mom that I missed dad….she said she did too, got a few tears but felt like he was smiling down on us happy we were there.

After getting back with mom DH had been babysitting grannie1 all that time so he was ready to get out and asked me if I wanted to walk on the beach so we walked down to black rock and watched the kids jumping off and then wandered back via the board walk and scoped out the cliff dive bar for possible dinner tomorrow night. We went back to the room to rest and prepare for the luau.

When we arrived at the Feast at Lele we were seated immediately as we got there at 5:27 and had the wheelchair. Two strong guys carried grannie1 and her wheelchair down the stairs; they do not have a wheelchair ramp. I asked them what they do if they have a really BIG person in a wheelchair and they said, “we get more people to carry them”. We were in the front row but off to the side due to a 4 person table, it was still a great table but had to sit a bit sideways to see the stage. Service was a little slow it must have just been our server. I should have taken notes on the food because there were 4 courses, way too much to remember everything. The things I remember are: sweet potato chips and salsa, fish, scallops, ono, shrimp ceviche, chicken thighs, steak, duck salad, poi, taro, squash dish, shrimp avocado and papaya. Dessert was coconut tart, mac nut and carmel tart, fresh fruit and chocolate truffle. The server mentioned trying the poi with the pork so I did and it actually tasted good, kind of cut the saltiness of the pork so used as a condiment it’s edible but eaten strait….not so much. Everything was so tasty and unique, the only criticism I would give is the dessert does not stack up to the rest of the food. Drinks all night long and very good mai tai’s. The entertainment was top notch, there is nothing at all “cheesy or corny” about it, the costumes are lavish and colorful with many costume changes the dancers are all extremely skilled. I have never seen such amazing hip movement. The music is live and very nice and the back drop is the water and the sunset, there is professional lighting and sound system….worth the price tag but it will be a while before we go again.

At the start of dinner grannie1’s denture pad (sea bond a sticky pad to hold them in) slipped out in a ball of goo and she had to take her dentures out at the table. At first when she told us there was something in her mouth and her teeth were slipping we told here there was nothing we could do so to try and put up with it….that did not last longer than 3 seconds. I was mortified thinking all these people would watch a 90 year old take her dentures out at this beautiful luau OMG! I held up a cloth napkin so no one else could see then DH took the teeth to rinse them off to bring back to her. No sea bond but we only gave her the easy stuff to chew which was all the fish and she loves fish and does not get a chance to eat it much at home so it was perfect At one point she said she had to go to the bathroom and I was irritated (didn’t want to miss anything AND she has a bit of paranoia about the bathroom, always afraid if she doesn’t go she’s going to have an accident so sometimes we take her and she does not have to go) so DH started to take her but then shortly came back and summoned me, I reluctantly went and took her into the handicap stall and she really did have to go so I forgave her and it was the last interruption we had at the luau. We all had a really nice time and as we were getting back into the van grannie1 commented on how good it was and I told her that the dancers shook their hips better than Elvis and she giggled like a school girl!

Pictures here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/…

Portland Oregon
Level Contributor
71 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grannie trip part two

I am loving your reports! Thanks so much for sharing! What a wonderful experience for The Grannies.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
383 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grannie trip part two

I'm sitting here reading your trip reports and wanted to tell you that what you and your husband did for the grannies is incredible. You made their dreams come true. I helped my mother take care of my 90+ grandparents the last several years before they died so I can sympathize with you about everything (how long it takes to get in the car, the bathroom paranoia, etc). I cannot imagine the patience you had. You are both truly selfless and remarkable people!

Level Contributor
36,329 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grannie trip part two

What a fun report to read! We also enjoyed the Feast @ Lele when we visited Maui this past June. :)

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grannie trip part two

yes syrahgirl.....I have read your many raves about Feast and could not wait to try it, next time it will be a romantic table for two and no denture ceremony :-) at least I hope not! hehehe

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
814 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grannie trip part two

maryann I laughed out loud at the dentures.. my dad sneezed once and out came the dentures.... we were all out for dinner too... not at a luau.. but same effect!

Something you can now laugh about! at the time it's mortifying! LOL

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grannie trip part two

You got me beat Shelly... I think it is worse to have them fly out than to have them carefully removed behind a napkin and you are right, it is rather funny in hindsight :-)

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,562 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grannie trip part two

Aloha,

Catching up a little--and at last, here's it is!!

You and your husband are 2 super, super people. It was such fun meeting you and the Grannies.

8. Re: Grannie trip part two

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2013, 10:19