We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mama's Fish House

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Mama's Fish House

My husband and I will be driving from our condo in Hana to the Hyatt in Kaanapali on Feb 14, 2012. We currently have reservations at Mama's Fish House at 2:30 for a special Valentine's/Honeymoon "Linner." I was initially very excited to eat at Mama's, but have been stalking these forums and have read some very mixed thoughts about the restaurant.

I am a foodie at heart. I love local, fresh, and creative food. Will we be dissapointed with the decision to have our Valentine's Day at Mama's? If so, any suggestions on where we might make reservations?

All thoughts welcome! This is our first time to Hawaii and we absolutely can't wait!

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mama's Fish House

The food is excellent, and we prefer lunch to dinner the menu and the view. It is truly overpriced, though. Sounds like a nice idea to me.

Level Contributor
35,434 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mama's Fish House

We love great food, also! We were very happy with our experience at Mama's. The food was fresh and perfectly prepared, the setting is beautiful and our service was very professional and attentive. They make great Mai Tai's at Mama's, also! :)

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,343 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mama's Fish House

We love the food and very special "island vibe" at Mama's...sounds like a great plan too me.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mama's Fish House

Thanks for the reassurance everyone. Sounds like we'll stick with the plan. And I'll be sure to post a review when we're finished!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,348 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mama's Fish House

No reason not to go to Mama's. It's the place on Maui for a foodie. There are more people who will recommend it than those who don't like it for various reasons. You've made the right choice.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mama's Fish House

I vote for Mama's too.....it will not dissapoint, may just leave a bit of sticker shock but if you know that going into it then it should be fine.

Blackwood, New...
Level Contributor
414 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mama's Fish House

Most complaints about Mama's seem to center on value. Beautiful, casual and very island feel. You are on the beach. I anticipated a VERY expensive meal. I was not disappointed. You will have a great Valentine's Day.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mama's Fish House

Ask for a table by the windows (it's open air) for the best view. We've never been disappointed with Mamas and it's become our traditional "last meal on Maui" before our flight home.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,722 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mama's Fish House

No, you won't be disappointed. Beautiful location, good food, but as others have said, it's pricey so know that doing in. But for foodies, Maui has so many terrific options for great dining experiences, so hopefully Mama's won't be your only nice meal outing.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mama's Fish House

VCSnowbird,

Where else would you recommend?