We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Random Question About Mount Haleakala

Santa Monica
14 posts
Save Topic
Random Question About Mount Haleakala

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Maui later this year, and I'm wondering why everyone recommends visiting Mount Haleakala for the sunrise and not the sunset. I'm just wondering since the opposite is true for Mauna Kea on the Big Island.

Thanks!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,407 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Random Question About Mount Haleakala

You will find some people who like sunset over sunrise but the vast majority will go for sunrise. The way the sun comes up over the horizon, colors that hit the clouds are just unreal. When the sun get further up the horizon and starts shining on the crater gives a golden hue I've never seen anywhere else. To many including me, it's an outer world experience. I've seen sunset from there also, nice but wasn't even close to what I saw at sunrise.

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Random Question About Mount Haleakala

i think it might also be weather related. we've never been to haleakala for sunrise or sunset...have in the afternoon. it was incredible.

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Random Question About Mount Haleakala

If you can't go for sunrise or sunset you should still go anytime of day. Absolutely. No one calls it "mount" Haleakala it's just Haleakala.

Socal
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Random Question About Mount Haleakala

The morning session is just very cool. Also as Billy mentioned above, the summit often gets clouded over as the day goes on, making the viewing iffy.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Random Question About Mount Haleakala

Hawaii Magazine recently had an article about catching sunset on Haleakala. Enjoy!

hawaiimagazine.com/blogs/hawaii_today/2010/9…

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
351 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Random Question About Mount Haleakala

I did the sunrise last September and I think it was Ms Fuzz who aptly desribes it as a "chicken skin" moment...it was all of that and a bag of chips. I felt it move through me at one point and what a way to start our first morning on Maui.

However, to be fair to the rise and set of our favorite orb of warmth, in 47 days I will be witnessing the sunSET. Mostly for teenager logistical reasons but also to vary my visual palette

And it isn't the only attraction en route, upcountry is a great day as well. I should disclaim the sensual treats as our jealousy level of the locals increased many fold that day. " Wait, they get the jungled forest of the Hana side, the beaches, the snorkeling and NOW THIS TOO?"

:)

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
217 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Random Question About Mount Haleakala

We went for the the sunrise and I think it was just as beautiful as Msfuzz describes, but for me, it was too early, too cold, and too crowded. The beauty was lost a bit because I was just miserable. (Maybe the altitude bothered me, too.). We are going to try sunset next summer. The evening may be a bit warmer (until the sun goes down, of course!) Also, stopping on the way up may help one gradually get used to the altitude.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
130 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Random Question About Mount Haleakala

To get to Haleakala at sunrise you have to leave your kaanapali or Wailea hotel at 3 AM, so there is no traffic to contend with. Coming down the mountain after a sunrise visit you can see the craters along the way, catch handgliders, and get caught up in the bicycle tour, visit Makawao. It is a slower trip down, but you will not care.

If you do the sunset trip, it will take much longer to get to the summit due to the traffic, you will probably not stop along the way to marvel at the craters, and miss all that after sunset because it will be very dark, and you will not be able to stop, and the shops in MAkawao will be closed..

There are no lights on the upper section of the road, so bring a flashlight. You won't be able to see to get to the parking lot without one.

Santa Monica
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Random Question About Mount Haleakala

Thanks everyone for your responses. They were all very helpful.

Santa Monica
14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Random Question About Mount Haleakala

Is there a good place to stop on the way up to acclimate? By the way, is there a way to quote the message you're replying to?