We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good local wines to try?

alberta
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Topic
Good local wines to try?

Someone mentioned some local Maui wines in their posting. Just wondering if someone could reccommend some reasonable priced red or white local wines sold in Maui. I tend to like dry cabsavs or cardonnays. But hey I like Merlots, Pinot Grigio, Shiraz.......... :)

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,278 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good local wines to try?

If you love good wine then Maui wines will probably not thrill you...lol. However a drive Upcountry to the winery for a tasting is always worth the trip. Opening bottle of pineapple wine at home always takes us right back to Maui!

alberta
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Good local wines to try?

thanks Mamma0233. What is this winery called? Do they offer tours? Is it near Kula? My husband like fruiter wines so we will definitely have to try a pineapple wine. Is this really sweet?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,278 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good local wines to try?

Here's their web-site http://mauiwine.com/ We really enjoy their wines and the drive is gorgeous.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,010 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good local wines to try?

Tedeschi Winery is the name of the place. Go for the tastings but don't buy there. You can get the same wine in Long's or K-Mart for much cheaper!!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good local wines to try?

ztiew.....I am NOT a wine connoisseur I like sweet wine and the winerys "Maui Splash" ,their best selling pineapple wine that mamma mentioned IS sweet.....that is why I like it. It's still refreshing and not as sweet as a dessert wine but I am sure most would describe it as very sweet.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
51,321 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good local wines to try?

Aloha,

The pineapple wine makes for a good marinade for shrimp or chicken.....or reduced down to a sauce for ice cream. That's how sweet it is.

Their other wines are forgettable too, IMO.

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good local wines to try?

i agree with sw as far as the 'other wines', but did like the maui splash. i'm not a white wine drinker, but the splash was tolerable.

definitely visit the winery, though. the drive is gorgeous.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Good local wines to try?

I have tried numerous Hawaiian wines from Maui and the big island and I have yet To find one worthy of an epicurean experience paired with quality cuisine.

Even served alone the wines leave a lot to be desired IMO.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good local wines to try?

the reds are getting there but I would still buy California, have a look into the Bikini Blonde while your here. シ

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good local wines to try?

I agree with the others. The pineapple wines are fun "sweet" wines. Great with spicy food, IMHO. If you're spending any time upcountry, it's worth a drive to do a tasting and take in the beautiful scenery.