We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need coaching on multi-city airfare booking (from Chicago)

Chicago
Level Contributor
510 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Need coaching on multi-city airfare booking (from Chicago)

Hello! We plan to fly Chicago to Maui, head over to Kauai on Hawaiian Airlines, and then fly Lihue to Chicago.

Disregarding the HA interisland flight from OGG to LIH, I'm seeing rates right now of around $950pp for a Wednesday to Saturday in June 2012 for ORD to OGG / LIH to ORD.

That seems high, but maybe it's not. Is it?

Should I just expect to pay higher airfare for a multi-city trip than I would pay if I did a simple roundtrip?

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need coaching on multi-city airfare booking (from Chicago)

We fly CID-ORD-HNL, HA-HNL-OGG, OGG-ORD-CID.You will pay a bit more for flying back from a different air port. I think, you can do better on the fare,we fly UA, I usually pay around $900, but remember, I am flying from Cedar Rapids! I would wait a bit. You may want to sign up for fare sale on Kayak. You amy also sign up at farecompare.com

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need coaching on multi-city airfare booking (from Chicago)

I did an open jaw from ORD to HNL with a return LIH to ORD for my hiatus next week. My flights on AA came in under $1,000 for coach with a first upgrade request (paid).

I will have to buy the HNL to LIH later.

I figure if I can go ORD to HNL for under 1k for coach I'm happy.

In December I got hit with full fare first class which is painful. But worth it!

Aloha

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,654 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need coaching on multi-city airfare booking (from Chicago)

That doesn't sound out of line, but price ORD-OGG roundtrip with a hop to Lihue and back to HNL. I'll pay more to fly a widebody nonstop to and from Chicago rather than a flight back that stops on the west coast after midnight -- with neither leg on a 767 or 330. (Many are on 757's -- uncomfortable in coach and first.)

AA has us flying home HNL-DFW-ORD, but the long leg is a 767 and we'll only have a couple hours of being shaken to death on an MD-80. We do our hops to and from HNL OGG on Hawaiian.

Chicago
Level Contributor
510 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need coaching on multi-city airfare booking (from Chicago)

Does that fact that my return date falls on June 16 make a difference? I'm reading about how rates skyrocket after the first week of June or so. Suddenly $950pp sounds like a deal. :(

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
130 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need coaching on multi-city airfare booking (from Chicago)

Given the current price of fuel a price of under $1000 is reasonable, where last year it would have been outrageaous. The days of $299 mainland to HNL round trip and $29 inter island fares are long gone. Whether you use Kayak, Bing or any other search engine, I doubt you will find cheaper. Bing is good in that it predicts the direction fares are going in many cases. If it cannot, it is beacause market conditions are unstable.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
152 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need coaching on multi-city airfare booking (from Chicago)

I just looked up American Airlines for June 16 returning 2 weeks later and the price in the Super Saver rates was $686 pp.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,279 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need coaching on multi-city airfare booking (from Chicago)

I just booked United direct ORD to OGG with a return OGG - HNL - ORD with the long flights on a 777 for $1000.

Leaving 6/30/12

B.

Edited: 21 January 2012, 20:40
Chicago
Level Contributor
510 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need coaching on multi-city airfare booking (from Chicago)

So I ended up with ORD-LAX-OGG, and the nonstop HNL-ORD, for $770pp. We're hopping from LIH to HNL on Hawaiian for an extra $80. So, in total $850pp.

I called Hawaiian Airlines before I booked and was told they could interline my luggage at HNL to our Continental flight to ORD, but after I booked, I called again to give them our flight information. I was then told that we CANNOT interline our luggage, and that we have to go to baggage claim and go back through the check in.

Good thing I left enough time between flights to actually do that. Guh.

9. Re: Need coaching on multi-city airfare booking (from Chicago)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2013, 10:21