We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling Gear

illinois
Level Contributor
71 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling Gear

We will be in Hawaii in June for 2 weeks and are debating whether to purchase and bring gear or rent.

I saw some gear at Costco and it looks fine for our purposes. We need gear for 2A and 2Kids. Purchasing it is MUCH cheaper then renting for 2 weeks (2 islands).

Thanks for any input.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling Gear

i have no clue what they have at costco. but a good fit is important for any degree of serious snorkeling. we bought ours at a dive shop, where we could try them on and get really good state of the art snorkels.

and they weren't THAT expensive. i think my mask (WITH prescription lenses) cost &75 or so.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,775 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling Gear

The USDivers/Aqualung sets that Costco has are pretty good quality. I'd say buy a set per person and replace the mask if you need a better fit. The fins and dry snorkel alone are well worth the $40 price of the set. If you need a better-fit mask you should be able to get one at Maui Divers or the like for about $25-30. Note that the masks come in different sizes; whether or not Costco actually carries the various sizes is another question.

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
399 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling Gear

Walmart at Kekei also carried US Diver's sets for about $25. My husband and I each got a set. My mask did pretty well, but he had problems with his. It's the luck of the draw. It's probably worth risking it. The fins are the kind you can slip over shows, which is nice and the snorkel is very nice. If they mask gives you problems take it to a local dive shop, Snorkel Bob's, whoever, and rent or buy another one. Maybe they'll even give you some credit if you trade in the one that doesn't fit. It's worth asking.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling Gear

Boss Frogs in Kihei rents good quality gear for $12 per day. The cheap stuff is $8 per day but I recommend you spring for the good stuff.

Dennis

New Jersey
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling Gear

Also noticed modells.com had some gear, not sure of the quality.

Thank you.