We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-condo rentals near wailea?

California
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Non-condo rentals near wailea?

I'm going to be in Maui the first week of March for a conference (lucky me) and I am bringing my husband and 6 month old daughter with me.

The conference is at the Wailea Marriott but I'm not very interested in staying there or in Wailea in general.

I'm looking for help narrowing down areas that are suitable for

1) a short drive into Wailea (15mins)

2) a little less touristy than Wailea

3) a little less condos than Wailea

We are fine with not being right at the beach if that means getting some distance from all the condos as we will just have spent a week at the beach in Kauai. Inland a bit is just fine. We really just want to explore the island when I am not in meetings.

So, I know that is all pretty specific. Any suggestions would be heartily appreciated.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Non-condo rentals near wailea?

You should look in Makena then. Just south of Wailea. Very nice area, quieter, and they have nice sandy beaches. There is only one resort in Makena. The Makena Beach and Golf resort. Google the resort and check it out.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Non-condo rentals near wailea?

that leaves you bed and breakfast, VRBO private home or an ohana (cottage or attched to a home). the private home's ususaly are 3 bedroom and quite expensive. I did see one 2 bedroom at 1700 a week.

Kihei is outside of Wailea or as above says you can look into Makena area.

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…undesignated

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,121 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Non-condo rentals near wailea?

There are legal restrictions against vacation rentals in non-visitor areas that make it difficult to find the type of lodging you have described.

Most B&B's are not kid friendly, but you might want to check on this one which is above the hotel zone in Wailea: www.mauibnb.com.

What do you have against condos? There are some small complexes in Kihei that are casual (without a "resorty" feel) if that is the atmosphere you want.

LA
Level Contributor
10,097 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Non-condo rentals near wailea?

Why don't you want to stay in Wailea? It's a lovely area.

Kihei is even more touristy and full of lower-rent condos than Wailea.

Makena is less touristy, but has fewer accomodation options, which are more expensive as they are private homes.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,048 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Non-condo rentals near wailea?

I'm not quite sure what you mean about "touristy". Wailea is an upscale resort area but it's not what I would consider "touristy"!! Especially compared to most of the other areas of Maui.

What is it you are really looking for? No condo's either means hotel or private residence. Which would you prefer and what kind of budget are you on?

6. Re: Non-condo rentals near wailea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2013, 09:24