We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place near the sea.......

Level Contributor
687 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Place near the sea.......

A few weeks ago, we stayed in a house about 20 feet from the ocean on lava cliffs. (On the Big Island) It was around Hilo/Hawaiian Park or something like that. It rained a lot during our 3 day stay there, and it was very damp inside the house. So damp, that the towels did not dry hanging up. So damp that our socks were wet on the bottoms, and they wouldn't dry hanging up overnight!

My question is: Is this normal for living so close to the ocean, AND would we run into this if we booked a place close to the ocean on Maui?

We are going next Feb., and we'll probably stay in Kapalua again, but we're bringing more family with us, and I dont' want them to encounter the same problem as we did. It was very uncomfortable, and in a word, "Yucky!"

Wernersville, PA
Level Contributor
311 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place near the sea.......

Have stayed @ Kapalua three times but never encountered such conditions. It is more windward and as such does get more weather; also generally stiff trade winds seem to keep things cooler.

Just a thought - to better assure comfort, maybe seek a villa that has air conditioning?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place near the sea.......

I've stayed ocean front in Honokowai many times and never had trouble getting towels to dry, etc. Of course it sounds like you had a lot of rain....maybe ask the property manager too.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
161 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place near the sea.......

You would not have had those conditions if you would have gone to the other side of the island, over to the Kona side.

washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place near the sea.......

we always stay oceanfront. The fact that it was raining probably played a huge factor but do you really care? isn't it better tje be able to get up and see the ocean first thing in the morning and hear the waves crashing?

Get a place with a dryer.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place near the sea.......

The Sheraton, you Can have fun diving off of Black Rock

Wailuku, Maui
Level Contributor
304 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Place near the sea.......

The Hilo side of the Big Island is always rainy. They have a slogon their "Where Rain reigns".....says it all.

The Lahaina side of Maui is hotter and drier than Hilo so I don't think you'd have a problem there. We do have such places like that though, Upcountry in the mountains are always misty and moist, the Iao Valley is the same, when I lived there my clothes would not dry on the line, I definately needed a dryer.

So if you're concerned, make sure you have one with a dryer in the unit to be safe.

washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Place near the sea.......

Please don't forget the south side of the island, Kihei and Wailea are even drier and have fabulous beaches.

Level Contributor
687 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Place near the sea.......

I believe that we'll stay where we stayed last year in Kapalua. We loved it, and it was beautiful with a view of the ocean.

Um....just a reply to some comments. We did stay on the Kona side as well as the East side of the B.I. I guess my question was: if we did decide to stay at a place near the sea, will we expect the same problems as our "damp house?"

And yes,even though we were in Paradise, we did care. Although the view was extrordinary, we were very uncomfortable. Everything in the fridge had puddles from the condensation. The beds had rubber sheets on them, and just everything was extremely uncomfortable. I would rather spend a week here in my hometown, then stay in the "damp house" again. Of course the view would not compare, but that's how bad it was. I did write a review a couple of weeks ago.

Thank you for all replies! I love this site, and it's just great to find different views on various subjects! :0)

washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Place near the sea.......

we have never had a problem like that on Maui and we have been many times and always stay on oceanfront. I don't believe you would have that problem there.

Level Contributor
687 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Place near the sea.......

thanks hula!!