We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dolphins in Maui

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Dolphins in Maui

Hi, we are heading to Maui in a few days for our 5th return visit. We have been on fabulous whale watching tours but the one thing we would like to attempt to see this time are dolphins. Any advice? Are there any particular boat tours where you are more likely to see dolphins? Is it worth the early morning drive to Perouse (sp?) Bay? Thanks

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dolphins in Maui

We did the Wild Dolphin Lanai cruise with PWF a couple of years ago. The spinner dolphins were a real treat and put on a great show. I got a lot of photos out of it!

Christina Lake...
Level Contributor
114 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dolphins in Maui

The dolphins seem to hang out between Lanai and Maui so you may want to try one of the cruises that concentrate their travel around Lanai. Years ago we took a cruise to Lanai and saw many dolphins, they were having a great time riding and playing in the wake of the boat. They seemed very curious of the boat and the people on it.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,015 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dolphins in Maui

I've been out to LaPerouse a lot in the early morning hours. Never did see any dolphins. A boat tour out to Lanai will give you the best chance. I've seen dolphins outside Kapalua Bay, following whales, but only a couple of times.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,075 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dolphins in Maui

Your best chance would be with tours that go to or land on Lana`i. I never saw dolphins on many trips to Maui, but they are easy to see around Lana`i.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dolphins in Maui

Like many other posters here, we also saw dolphins on a Lanai cruise (though not the ferry to Lanai). The spinners were riding the bow wave of our catamaran for maybe 15-20 minutes, just inches away from people lying on the netting.

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dolphins in Maui

i also agree with the others. we took a day trip to lanai with trilogy not long ago and saw many dolphins, just as joe stated.

7. Re: Dolphins in Maui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2013, 10:28