We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

are ALL condo rentals decorated like a retirement villages?!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
are ALL condo rentals decorated like a retirement villages?!

I know the way the condo looks doesn't matter but this is my honeymoon and Hawaii is a lot more expensive than I thought. We're already sacrificing room service, housekeeping and eating out, is it too much to ask to find an affordable oceanfront condo that doesn't look like it's part of a old age home?

Suggestions anyone? We want Maui for less than $1000/week on the beach or walking distance to the beach. Other than that we don't care.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: are ALL condo rentals decorated like a retirement villages?!

Maui is an expensive destination. Most condos are individually owned and will be decorated by the owners. If you rent through a rental management company then you will get emergency maintenance and the unit will have to provide microwaves, dishes, toaster etc.

Kihei can be a less expensive area and has great beaches and lots of sun. Also check with your airline for a package deal. Sometimes that can save you money.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,713 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: are ALL condo rentals decorated like a retirement villages?!

Getting the environment you want is going to very difficult for your budget on Maui. Your best options will be in Kihei and likely be across the street or a short walk to the beach. Hawaii is indeed expensive, and Maui moreso than the other islands.

Have you considered Waikiki? Your budget will go farther there and you won't need to rent a car for the entire time as it is much easier to get around.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: are ALL condo rentals decorated like a retirement villages?!

The posting title made me laugh. Thanks!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: are ALL condo rentals decorated like a retirement villages?!

"honeymoon and Hawaii is a lot more expensive than I thought. We're already sacrificing room service, housekeeping and eating out,"

oh you poor thing ! Just to think , many of us prefer to "sacrifice" all those to have a holiday and manage perfectly fine.

I've stayed and been in, plenty of condos that I dont think "look like it's part of a old age home" with the proviso that I don't really know what you classify as that.

Many condos have cane furniture, its an island thing, if that's what you mean then perhaps your tastes don't coincide with Hawaii? If you are looking for smoked glass, chrome and minimalism perhaps you are looking in the wrong place or should be putting a zero on your budget?

Edited: 31 January 2012, 06:41
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,134 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: are ALL condo rentals decorated like a retirement villages?!

Less than $1000 a week on the beach on Maui and you want to complain about decor? You're lucky to find a place with a roof! (ok, not literally, but really...)

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,690 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: are ALL condo rentals decorated like a retirement villages?!

Most of the condos we stayed at have an island decor. Bamboo wood furniture, with bold hawaiian flora prints. This never strike me as retirement decor. Particularly if the kitchen and bathrooms are nicely renovated.

For your budget, you might want to look at an one bedroom at Koa Lagoon or Maui Sunset. They are both ocean front on North Kihei.

You might also look at Kamaole Sands and Maui Kamaole. They are across the street from the beach on South Kihei.

If you prefer to stay on West Maui, you can look into Kahana area. Just north of Ka'napali. There are lots of inexpensive condos there, along the beach. The beaches there are a bit rocky, but you are a short drive away from other west maui beaches.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: are ALL condo rentals decorated like a retirement villages?!

I'd add Maui vista in S Kihei to the list as well but whilst there are plenty of places the OP can get for $1,000 or less, frankly if she feels its a "sacrifice" to stay in a condo with cane furniture and flowery decor, let alone miss out on room service, perhaps an all adult resort in the Caribbean would suit her better. Sandals or Couples maybe?

Edited: 31 January 2012, 07:26
Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,630 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: are ALL condo rentals decorated like a retirement villages?!

Damn… I was wondering where I left my walking frame...

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,049 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: are ALL condo rentals decorated like a retirement villages?!

If you enjoy looking at LOTS of online condo photos, you can find some with updated furniture in your price range. You'll need to rent from an on-island smaller agency or direct from an owner. The big rental agents like Castle and Outrigger don't let you chose a specific unit.

I'm a budget traveler, too, and got tired a long time ago of old sofas with broken down cushions and wicker/wooden arms. I also look for listings that brag about the comfort of the bed. For me, these items are more important than a kitchen with stainless steel appliances and granite counters. I agree that Kihei will probably offer the most options in your price range. Luckily, it has some of the finest beaches on the island, too!

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,223 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: are ALL condo rentals decorated like a retirement villages?!

Bananachiki aloha.

Understand what you're saying about the decor. I've called it "Golden Girls " look. However, I know plenty of people who went camping in the Midwest for a honeymoon. We couldn't afford a Maui honeymoon until our 20th anniversary. If you are lucky enough to make it to Maui, enjoy the natural beauty that no interior could match. It's priceless!

BTW, Sandals would cost more than budget. Maybe Cancun?

Edited: 31 January 2012, 12:42