We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui- 5 days- Tips for an Itinerary? What do we HAVE to...

Scotland
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Maui- 5 days- Tips for an Itinerary? What do we HAVE to...

Hi there,

Always a help this site?

Going to be on Maui for 5 full days and a half day, before going to Kauai. On honeymoon, and looking for some tips on the essential things we need to do. Know this is a short time, but an itinerary would be great. Will have a car and staying at the Sheraton, so any tips for during the day and at nighttime would be a massive help!

Thanks

T

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui- 5 days- Tips for an Itinerary? What do we HAVE to...

Hi

You can see what we did and what our itinerary was on Maui on our web site. www.AlandSueJohnson.com.

Look under Trip Reports / Hawaii

Our trip started on Oahu and then to the Big Island. As I recall we spent 7 days on Maui. The trip report does a decent job of explaining what we did and the pictures also have an explanation of what they are of.

You can't go too far wrong. It is a beautiful place. I personally don't recommend the bike ride down Haleakela although many people will disagree. The view from the top is pretty impressive since you look down at the clouds for sunrise. The bike ride, though, looked overly controlled and took a long time. They didn't see anything we didn't by driving. We got to spend the rest of the day doing other things. My wife was initially determined to do the bike ride but later was glad we didn't. If you think I'm wrong, you're probably right.

If you have questions about what we saw or did, you can use the Contact Us from the web site if you wish. I'm not an expert on anything other than what we did.

Fort Wayne, IN
Level Contributor
312 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui- 5 days- Tips for an Itinerary? What do we HAVE to...

1 very easy suggestion, walk south down the beach past our adopted home (The Whaler). Park your selves in a chair 45 minutes before sunset order at least 1 drink at the Hula Grill. Wiggle toes in sand and ENJOY.

This is the best it gets in PARADISE.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
839 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui- 5 days- Tips for an Itinerary? What do we HAVE to...

My favorite things are:

Iao Valley - magical, easy drive from central Maui

Kahului Swap Meet on Saturday (combine with Iao Valley)

Visit the top of Haleakala during the day. The drive up is the most beautiful part. Forget the bike ride!

Walk around Lahaina, making sure to commune with the giant banyan tree for awhile. Do not miss The Gecko Store.

Drive up the west Maui coast for some beautiful scenery. You could actually do this on the day you do the swap meet and Iao Valley because if you continue on around (recommended) you'll get back to Kahului.

Old Lahaina Luau.

I consider the road to Hana and snorkeling trips to be VERY optional. Plenty of good snorkeling off the beaches.

San Clemente, CA
Level Contributor
2,597 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui- 5 days- Tips for an Itinerary? What do we HAVE to...

I strongly recommend the Road to Hana, at least for the day. Have you seen the photos????? Waterfalls! Green!

Oregon
Level Contributor
364 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui- 5 days- Tips for an Itinerary? What do we HAVE to...

I'd recommend the Road to Hana and snorkeling. Black Rock has some really good snorkeling, and it's right in front of your hotel.

cdm
Erie PA
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui- 5 days- Tips for an Itinerary? What do we HAVE to...

In no particular order:

1. The Aquarium

2. Haleakala

3. Any nice beach

4. Snorkling (off the nice beach)

5. Dinner Cruise: saw whales, good meal, met nice people, and had dancing. Combined several things.

San Clemente, CA
Level Contributor
2,597 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui- 5 days- Tips for an Itinerary? What do we HAVE to...

signsorce1- the Hula Grill at sunset is on my list. I heard that they also have live music at the Barefoot Bar. Ok, I may have asked this before, but do you need reservations at the Barefoot Bar prior to sunset?

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
130 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui- 5 days- Tips for an Itinerary? What do we HAVE to...

These are things I wouldn't want to miss

Old Lahaina Luau

Warren and Annabelles

Road to Hana

Drive up Haleakala

Big Beach

San Clemente, CA
Level Contributor
2,597 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui- 5 days- Tips for an Itinerary? What do we HAVE to...

Nanika- I have to go to Big Beach, after seeing all the rugged beach, gorgeous photos! Now that there was a shark attack, even more so! I will come home with shirts that say, "I survived the road to Hana" "I survived biking down a volcano" and "I survived shark beach!"

Nobody is allowed to steal my idea!