We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui in Feb.: Wailea, Kaanapali, or Kapalua?

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Maui in Feb.: Wailea, Kaanapali, or Kapalua?

I asked this same question the other day regarding August and the hands-down winner was Kapalua. But am toying with a trip during whale season (next mid-Feb.) and want to know what location would be best in terms of weather/beach conditions, etc. We will definitely pick a villa or condo style resort. We have 2 kids (11 and 8). We like to snorkel, explore the island, and lounge on the beach a bit too.

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui in Feb.: Wailea, Kaanapali, or Kapalua?

Also wanted to add, that calmer seas are better for us.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,827 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui in Feb.: Wailea, Kaanapali, or Kapalua?

We stay in Kihei now after spending years in Kaanapali and then a few in Wailea. We just like the weather a bit better in south Maui. But whatever you pick you will be happy. There is no bad place to stay. We have a favorite condo complex that we stay at on a great swimming and snorkeling beach, the reason we choose Kihei is the oceanfront location for the price. Wailea is beautiful, it's just very difficult to get anything as close to the water as we found. You may want to try Elua Village in Kihei. It's located on Ulua beach which is very nice and friendly for snorkeling and swimming. As far as calm seas go, the afternoon trade winds pick up all over the island so mornings on the water are always calmer. Also take a look at Ekahi Village. We enjoyed staying at both over the years.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui in Feb.: Wailea, Kaanapali, or Kapalua?

Wailea is the better location in terms of weather/beach conditions in the winter months. Wailea is great year round. It is very beautiful. With lots of nice sandy beaches in the area.

Level Contributor
36,944 posts
946 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui in Feb.: Wailea, Kaanapali, or Kapalua?

Kapalua is gorgeous! :)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,527 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui in Feb.: Wailea, Kaanapali, or Kapalua?

I love Kapalua but in February, I would rather be in a place that isn't quite as rainy or windy. Either Wailea or Kaanapali would fit the bill. The best most consistent ocean conditions will be found in south Maui in February.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
170 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui in Feb.: Wailea, Kaanapali, or Kapalua?

We stayed in Kapalua in February five years ago and we woke up every morning to torrential downpours, and went to bed every night with howling wind. I would not recommend that area in February. I'd love to go back in August sometime though. We've also stayed in Wailea in February and loved it. We'll be going back in 1.5 weeks.

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui in Feb.: Wailea, Kaanapali, or Kapalua?

Thanks, everyone. Still undecided if we will go in February or August. But it seems we will stay in Wailea or Kaanapali if we go in Feb. and Kapalua if we go in Aug.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,786 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui in Feb.: Wailea, Kaanapali, or Kapalua?

You got it!

We've been coming to South Maui in Jan. & Feb. for years. You'd be OK weather-wise from Kahana on south, but the ocean is usually calmer off South Maui. We come in winter to escape bad weather at home and to see the whales!

Wailea is more upscale than Kaanapali, newer, and less densely developed. You can also get around on 4-lane roads from Wailea/Kihei, whereas it's 2-lane between Maalaea and Lahaina. (Not a big deal, but tiresome if you're going to be doing a lot of sighseeing to Haleakala, Iao Valley, Road to Hana.)

I like this site for South Maui condos: www.mauiownercondos.com

Edited: 04 February 2012, 03:19
9. Re: Maui in Feb.: Wailea, Kaanapali, or Kapalua?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2013, 10:20