We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget suggestions

Orange County...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Budget suggestions

My boyfriend and I are leaving for Maui in 2 weeks for 8 days, hotel, car, and breakfast at the hotel are already paid for. I am trying to get a feel for how much we should expect to spend each. I plan on maybe 2 excursions, Zipline And snorkel or something similar, but really want to be smart and budget. We are staying at kaanapali beach hotel and I read there is a little grocery store close by and to stock up on snacks and drinks there. Any other advice/opinions? Thanks!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,282 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget suggestions

Aloha natalie! You did it - posting on the Maui forum. :)

The best thing about a Hawaiian vacation is some of the best things are free or close to it. Maui has some great snorkeling from shore, so I would rent gear and snorkel in some of the great spots. You could do a snorkel tour, but you might be just as happy shore snorkeling for free.

For just a drive (some $$ for gas), you can go visit a vineyard and have some free samples:

http://mauiwine.com/

Drive the road to Hana

Visit Haleakala National Park - entrance fee $10 for 3 day pass.

http://www.nps.gov/hale/index.htm

Many places to hike around Maui too.

Wander around Lahaina - lots of art galleries and things to see. Great place to people watch, eat and shop. I really like being there in the evening.

You might consider a luau for your first visit, though they generally aren't cheap. Have a fun trip! :)

Schaumburg, IL
Level Contributor
792 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget suggestions

It sounds like you have done great with your planning and having breakfast at the hotel will save you lots. You can find dinner for as little or as much as you want. My hubby and I can split a slice of pizza at Costco or go to the banyan tree for a price fix dinner at $135 per person. I think that it's up to you and what's important.

Sultan, Washington
Level Contributor
293 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget suggestions

Ziplines are not cheap. A simple google search "maui zipline" will get all the Maui ziplines on the first page, and you can search the forum abd the things to do section. Snorkeling runs the gamut from a $9 rent your own set for a week to $107 for a Trilogy Molokini tour. Other fine company's are similar. There are several company's that have 2-4 hour Kayak trip that combine kayak and snorkeling for $65-$85, or again, rent you own if your experienced. It really depends on your time and budget. Pick what you want to do, see how long it takes, research company's and choose.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,010 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget suggestions

You can get at least a 10% discount by booking on line in advance for snorkel tours and zip-lines. I'd budget at least 125.00 pp give or take for these.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
786 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget suggestions

Hi Natalie! guess you're getting pretty excited!!!

I HIGHLY recommend Kelii's Kayak Tours... I've used them twice now ( and many friends have as well ) and I love their tours.. they combine kayaking ( beginners can easily do this ) and snorkelling in one trip.. we do the AM one out of Makena because we stay in Kihei but there are others.

I think we paid $65.00 each and because we booked on line we got a free underwater camera ... if you dont already have one that was an added bonus. we go to Maui on a budget too.. it costs enough to get there, stay there and rent a car..

make sure you go to the swapmeet on Saturday AM.. its a really nice free ( OK it's a dollar to get in ) thing to do, have a cup of Maui coffee.... have a look at all the arts and crafts ... I love doing this and NEVER miss a Saturday...

Also driving upcountry... we take a lunch with us.. couple cold beers :) and I make sandwiches etc... we'll go watch the surfers at Hookipa and then wander through Paia... there is so much to do for free... we go back in March and aren't going to pay for a tour this time.. they're great if you have the funds.. but I don't miss them when I don't do them.. it's not like you HAVE to take a tour to experience Maui... if you have any questions of how we do it cheap LOL, send me a message and I'll give you some more pointers.. nothing different than everyone here suggests..... but I'd be happy to help...

oh, one more thing.. NEVER miss a sunset! we take our wine onto the lawn with some cheese or ? and enjoy every second, every night...

have a wonderful trip!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,654 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget suggestions

I heard a warning bell ring when you mentioned a little store 'nearby'. You'll pay more at a convenience store like the ABC's or Whaler's. You'll have a car. Go to a Safeway, Foodland or Times grocery store; get a customer savings card and the weekly sales flyer (some with coupons). Will you have a small fridge in your room?

Orange County...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget suggestions

Thanks all for the great suggestions.

@shelley1008, I love your ideas and definitely plan on taking in every sunset and doing many things on our own without paying for the tour. I will definitely send you a message!

@ ChiSue, Safeway is actually the store I was talking about, guess I should not have used the word "little"! I have actually been looking at the weekly savings already and heard about the customer savings card, is there a way to sign up for it before you go?

We will have a small fridge in our room :)

Thanks!!

Socal
Level Contributor
1,231 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget suggestions

Most of the restaurants have early bird specials that go until about 6:00 that are great deals. We saved some good dollars with the 3 of us dining out that way. BTW, that Safeway is huge and busy!

And as mentioned, make your own lunches and snacks. We did have a condo so plenty of room for food but we did lots of picnics..on the beach....on a hiking trail....in the Lavender gardens.

Edited: 10 February 2012, 00:05
9. Re: Budget suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2013, 10:25