We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Running the Wailea ocean sidewalk

white rock bc
Level Contributor
532 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Running the Wailea ocean sidewalk

Hi

We are staying at the Royal Mauian. I would like to run along the ocean ( but not on sand ). Where does the Wailea oceanside sidewalk start? Is there public parking near by?

thank you

bellini

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,625 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Running the Wailea ocean sidewalk

Starts at Ulua beach going to Polo Beach. Public parking at both ends.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
379 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Running the Wailea ocean sidewalk

Also, be aware that runners on the Wailea Beach Walk do not have the right of way, and depending on the time of year there may be a fair number of strollers, children, and walkers that you will have to move around.

white rock bc
Level Contributor
532 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Running the Wailea ocean sidewalk

Hopefully there wont be too many people strolling at 6 am in the morning.

thanks for the info

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,625 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Running the Wailea ocean sidewalk

You can always loop back up to the main road for the run back to your car if you find it a crowded. But at 6 you should be fine.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Running the Wailea ocean sidewalk

If you really run a lot you should have a backup plan. From what I remember the beach walk is not that far. Plus, even at 6 am there could be a lot of people out. To us mainlanders, 6am is really 9am or even later. I'm always amazed at how many people are out walking along the beach when I get out at around 5 am or so.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Running the Wailea ocean sidewalk

it takes 55 minutes to walk back and forth, so its pretty short, I walk it sometimes and see the runners do 3 passes on me. 6 am may have some gates still shut but there not locked.

you wont be bumping into anyone, maybe some sprinklers or wet cement here and there.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
379 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Running the Wailea ocean sidewalk

There aren't any gates on the walk, but at 6 am, depending on the time of year, there usually are other early birds, sometimes quite a few of them! It's a great time of day for a walk or a run along the beautiful South Maui coastline, but since part of the walk is along a bluff, you do have to exercise some caution.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Running the Wailea ocean sidewalk

they close the gate at night after you pass the Kea Lani heading into the residential on your way towards the FS and the Grand. as I said there not locked and it wont ruin your run, have no idea who re opens the one or maybe two gates for the day.

Edited: 13 February 2012, 20:38
S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,625 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Running the Wailea ocean sidewalk

The Ulua beach parking doesnot have a gate that I recall.

The county parking area for Polo Beach is where the gates are ConCeili.

Bellini, you park on the side of the road by the Kea Lani if by chance the gates are locked. This is the sideroad on the southside of the resort that leads to the Polo Beach parking.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
379 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Running the Wailea ocean sidewalk

Thanks, barefootAR, I'd never encountered the gates, so that's good to know. We usually are staying somewhere along the walk. Are there similar gates along the Ka'anapali walkway?