We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

particular question about kaanapali hotels/lahaina dive op

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
42 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
particular question about kaanapali hotels/lahaina dive op

yes, i know, a million people have asked "hyatt vs. sheraton vs. westin?" but i've done a detailed search for pictures, responses, etc and still need some advice on certain particular questions from those who have stayed at these places (i've been at the hyatt several times, but not since renovations). secondarily, i am curious on whether lahaina divers is still up to par (i last dove with them in 2009) or if another dive op is better in west maui.

first of all, i loved the hyatt's tropical grounds as well as the fact that the lobby was open air and that you could see the ocean from the lobby. i didn't like the frigid pool, the lack of an adult pool/bar (which i know the westin has), and the fact that the swim-up bar was in a grotto featuring an incredibly noisy waterfall. i prefer tropical decor, and most westins i've seen have been decorated in a modern style that doesn't strike me as aesthetically pleasing. is the maui westin along the same lines? can you see the ocean from the lobby? is the pool (or at least the adult pool) heated? i've seen a few you tube videos that mainly depict koi ponds in the lobby and no ocean view, but i can't tell if this is just a function of the videos, or if the property is "inward directed" (as the hilton on the big island is...which i didn't like, as opposed to the open air lobby of the fairmont on the big island and the grand hyatt kauai, which i loved).

the sheraton's pools looked fairly nondescript, and from my knowledge there is no adult pool or adult bar, but many posters have said that as far as the grounds go, this is the most romantic and least "amusement park" like of the kaanapali properties. anyone know if the sheraton's pools are heated, and if the lobby faces the ocean?

also, has anyone been to the hyatt since the renovations?

in general, i am looking for a tropical vibe,a warm and (hopefully) adult only pool/bar, and gorgeous grounds. if we can't improve on the hyatt, we'll stay there, but we're interested in trying something new. The rooms don't matter (we spend probably six hours a day in them, sleeping) and the swimming/snorkeling quality of the beach is irrelevant (we love to walk, so our proximity to the best beach area for snorkeling, which in my opinion is near the Sheraton at Black Rock, will not be an issue in choosing a hotel). For us, it's all about the decor, grounds, pools/poolside bar, and romantic (as opposed to family) feel.

Any divers, please let me know if Lahaina Divers is still a decent choice. I know Mike Severns and Ed Robinson are the top choices, but we always stay in West Maui and hate driving and have been satisfied with our dive trips to Lanai and Molokini with LD in past years. Thanks.

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: particular question about kaanapali hotels/lahaina dive op

I've never dove with Lahaina Divers, but have dove with Extended Horizons out of Lahaina. They did a good job and have a pretty decent reputation on the message boards I read.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: particular question about kaanapali hotels/lahaina dive op

We've been on LD in the past and were well taken care of and we've seen their boats leaving Lahaina harbor in the past 2 weeks with quite a few people on them. Boats looked in good shape. About all I can say

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: particular question about kaanapali hotels/lahaina dive op

I lived in a Lahaina condo property that tried to have one of three pools as an "adult only swimming pool" and it violated a State laws regarding "family rights". If safety is an issue then they could have had some restrictions. So I am thinking that the hotels would face the same guidelines and laws.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
42 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: particular question about kaanapali hotels/lahaina dive op

hmmm. heard the westin had an adult only swimming pool, but a bar is right by there. the grand hyatt in kauai has a similar arrangement--adult only swimming pool with a bar next to the pool. i wonder if the law has changed in the past couple of years or, even if it has, if it doesn't apply to hotels with bars next to the pool. a couple of years ago in kauai i saw a mother pitch a hysterical fit when the bartender wouldn't let her toddler in training pants (or whatever they're called) go in the adult pool or let her other kid sit at the bar.

anyone been to the westin lately to see if they still have an adult pool or this law has prevented it?

thanks for the info on lahaina divers! think i'll stick with them, since i had good experiences three years in a row.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
53,841 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: particular question about kaanapali hotels/lahaina dive op

Aloha,

Resort/Hotel zoning and rules are different than residential.

No prob for a resort to have adult only pools or bars.

Coquitlam, Canada
Level Contributor
186 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: particular question about kaanapali hotels/lahaina dive op

My husband is a diver and he usually dives with Ed Robinson as we usually stay in South Maui. A few years ago he dove the Cathedrals with Extended Horizons out of Lahaina and really enjoyed the dive. He is planning to dive again with them this spring.

7. Re: particular question about kaanapali hotels/lahaina dive op

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 19:52