We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keawakapu vs Kam 2

Augusta, Georgia
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Topic
Keawakapu vs Kam 2

Hi guys - this is our 6th trip to Maui so we know what we are wanting out of this trip I just can not seem to finalize where to stay. We are traveling with an almost 3 year old. We are looking at a 1 bedroom at the Hale Pau Hana - Pros: oceanfront, grills, good beach Cons: 1 bedroom, high rise side, more crowded beach OR a side unit at the Hale Hui Kai(nicely remodeled with windows to help with noise problem there) Pros :2 bedrooms-smaller complex, ground floor, VERY easy access to and from beach with a toddler, less crowded beach- Cons: No ocean view, no grills on site. Our last 2 trips were spent on the West side so I do not remember the details of the beaches these front and what is better for a toddler. Facilities are not an issue as we can walk from the beach to the condo to use the restroom and such. Please let me know your thoughts. Also, if it matters, we are going at the end of May.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,169 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Keawakapu vs Kam 2

If I had a chance to stay anywhere near Keawakapu Beach, I'd snatch it up in an instant. One of the best beaches on Maui.

Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Keawakapu vs Kam 2

Both are beautiful beaches of course. Keawakapu is my favourite. It's quite long and easy for kids. We were at the Mana Kai and it was perfect for us, but we had a view. We got used to no BBQ.

Kam 2 is closer to shopping etc if you just need to run out and get something across the street. I believe Kam 2 has a lifeguard (?). We like a view so for the HHK we would plan on a front unit ($$). A toss up.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,220 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Keawakapu vs Kam 2

I have stayed at and enjoyed both. My vote would be Hale Pau Hana. Beach access is very good... just a few steps (maybe 4?) right in front of the property and a good handrail. The best feature, however, is the spacious lawn area with lots of seating options and playing space for a 3 year old. Hale Hui Kai has a small lawn and there is a hedge in front that blocks the ocean view from the yard. Both beaches are toss-up wonderful, IMHO.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Keawakapu vs Kam 2

Sounds like you're going to have to decide how important that ocean view is. For me personally it's critical and I can't imagine being there without that view. But everyone is different. Keawakapu is a stellar beach. Kam 2 that fronts the Hale Pau Hana is also terrific, and I wouldn't characterize it as "crowded." Shops and restaurants are walking distance across the street.

Both will be great choices and give you a wonderful experience. Be sure to let us know what you decided and how you liked it.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Keawakapu vs Kam 2

Keawakapu is my fave as well, nice long stretch for sunset or morning walks.

You get Five Palms and Sarento's close by, that Deli at the Mana Kai is ridiculous, pricy and you could just get a giveaway hibachi at Longs, Walmart or run down to Kam III for the grills.

For beach use Keawakapu, they also have two parking lots and two public showers on the beach access routes from S Kihei road.

Living here I dont see many rooms but have stayed at Hale Pau Hana. It was long long ago but I did like the experience and the ocean view and price.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Keawakapu vs Kam 2

Love Keawakapu Beach...nice LONG stretch of sandy beach, never crowded.

This beach is both long and wide, lots of room for a toddler to run around and build sand castles. This beach is usually calm in the mornings, and the palm trees provide ample natural shade.

7. Re: Keawakapu vs Kam 2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 20:02