We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Maui

glasgow,scotland
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Maui

Hi there. We are trying to organise a trip to Maui and Oahu for our honeymoon. Is six nights in each place enough? We've been to Oahu once before. We would also like to go to Hilo and have a look around. Is it possible to do a day trip from Maui to Hilo?? Or is it worthwhile travelling to Hilo for a few days?

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,466 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Maui

Unless you know you want to spend more time on to Oahu, I'd book a few nights there and the larger portion of your trip on Maui.

While you could do a daytrip to Hilo from HNL, it's a very long day; there may be little 'activity' to see at VNP; and you aren't in Hawaii all that long in the first place. You could easily spend all 12 nights Maui -- but I imagine you will be flying in and out of Honolulu.

What time of year will you visit? Have you planned a stop on the US mainland enroute? Are you interested in hotels, or perhaps a combination of condo + hotel(s)? What is you budget for lodging? (Don't forget to budget for a rental car everywhere outside of Honolulu.)

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,080 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Maui

There is good air service out of Hilo (ITO) to most other hawaiian airports. The cheapest flights to ITO are probably out of Honolulu (HNL). Most of us on the Maui board probably would tell you that Maui is the best, worthy of more time than Oahu. Maybe arrive HNL, fly over to ITO, then to OGG. Or you could fly into KOA rather than ITO and drive over the volcanos to Hilo. I'm not a big fan of Hilo, but there is a lot else to drive to see around the Big Island. There's a lot to see on the mainland too, if you have the time.

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Maui

6 nights in Maui and 6 on Oahu is an excellent pairing. You'll need to rent a car on Maui, though. You can day-trip to Hilo from Honolulu ... rent a car and see the sites. You can also take a tour.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,225 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Maui

6 and 6 is a good split, but if you've already done Oahu, I might go 5 nights Oahu and 7 nights Maui unless there specific plans you have for the 6 nights on Oahu.

I am not sure "Hilo" is worth a visit. Most people who do day trips to the Big Island do so to visit Volcano National Park.

glasgow,scotland
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Maui

Hi thanks for your replies. Here's the itinerary give me your thoughts

September 22 get married

September 24 fly Glasgow to Maui via new York and LA

Seven nights in the Hyatt in Maui

Then two nights in Hilo

Then head to Oahu for six nights at the moana surfrider.

Then two nights in NYC on the way home.

I'm thinking we shouldn't bother with Hilo then. I think it would be awesome to see the volcano but if the general consensus is no I'll go with that.

Any recommendations for unmissable things to do in Maui?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in Maui

I went to the Big Island a few years ago, and some day I'll probably go back, but I wouldn't take 2 days out to see it, if only because you'll also lose another day in travel, a day that could be spent in Maui or Oahu and its a big place, 2 nights there doesn't give you much time. If I was to go again I'd take a week there.

The thing about the volcano is (and it was erupting while we were there in 2008) is that you are not guaranteed to get to see anything spectacular - ironically because it was erupting violently while we were there you weren't allowed within a mile*, and of course if its not erupting there is nothing much to see** - Catch 22. So likely baby bears porridge, it needs to be "just right". My thought is I'd just add those 2 days onto Maui.

As for "things to do" well look on this page to your right and up where there are two sections, "top questions about Maui", and "Maui itineraries" .. and as for "is 6 days enough?" , well I'm heading back for my fourth or fifth visit later this year, so no, nowhere near enough :-)

* I did meet one person who snuck over fences at nighttime to get close and had some interesting shots of red lava in the dark but then that's the sort of person you'll read about in the newspaper as to how much he'll be missed by his family and at least as he is now a cinder he can be easily taken back to the mainland :-)

** except miles of old lava but you can see that on Maui.

Edited: 20 February 2012, 13:43
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,225 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon in Maui

So again, people usually go to the Big Island for the volcanoes, snorkeling, fishing and the resorts, but the resorts, fishing and a good bit of the best snorkeling is on the Kailua Kona side of the islnad. Hilo is the gateway to the volcanoes, if you aren't interested in them than Hilo might not be the best use of time.

If you have two extra days you might want to use them on Oahu and Maui and not deal with another flight in the islands.

However, if you wanted to use those two nights in an amazing place for a honeymoon trip, look at the Four Seasons Lodge at Koele on Lanai. It is my favorite resort in Hawaii for doing nothing because it is so unique among resorts in Hawaii.

http://www.fourseasons.com/koele/

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,025 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon in Maui

Don't laugh -- but Warren and Annabelle's Magic Show in Lahaina is a must. We go almost every time we're in Maui. I recommended the show to one of my younger co-workers who got married and spent their honeymoon on Maui. When she returned, she told me it was THE MOST fun she and her new hubby had on their honeymoon -- out of everything! LOL, but true!

glasgow,scotland
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon in Maui

Hey thanks for your help. I paid the deposit today. 8 days in Maui followed by 6 on Oahu, with a short stop off in New York on the way back to scotland. I'll be back on here a lot in the next six months as I plan the trip. Thanks again

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,466 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon in Maui

I hope you're taking a nonstop to Hawaii from the mainland on 767's or 330's. Avoid any flights on 757's. Avoid a return that dumps you on the West Coast after midnight with another long leg ahead of you. (WHY would you stop in LA? I could see spending some time in San Francisco, but LA?)

United has nonstops into HNL out of Newark. Hawaiian Airlines has them out of JFK. You can also fly United nonstop to Maui from Chicago on good aircraft. (You can fly from many other cities -- my point is just to get a nonstop on a good, widebody aircraft.) We fly nonstop Chicago-Honolulu and jump to OGG on Maui an hour later.

It is well worth it to book the United-Plus seating -- a compartment with seats a bit farther apart, just forward of regular coach. (We buy coach and use miles to upgrade to first class -- if you have miles to do that.)

Skipgoing to Big Island JUST for the volcano. This island is well worth visiting, but needs 7 - 10 nights. A short stop just isn't worth it in money or time-in-transit.

Have we made you aware that you need to book rental cars everywhere outside of Honolulu?