We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Watching Boat Tours

Escondido...
Level Contributor
119 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Whale Watching Boat Tours

Has the water been rough/choppy? Many whale sightings?

I get very seasick! Thanks!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,924 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Watching Boat Tours

As a lot of people now put it, It's whale soup out there!! February and March are the prime whale watching months. No problem finding whales anywhere around Maui. As far as conditions go, they change daily, no way of telling more than a day or 2 out how conditions will be when you go. If you do get sea sick, I can almost guarantee that will happen when you go on a whale watching tour. Just depends on whether you can handle that or not. Medications do help some people.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Watching Boat Tours

It's almost a day to day thing the last couple of weeks. We've seen quite a few whales on our outings, but I haven't been able to get any breaching pictures. On one trip on a PWF boat, there were about 5 people sitting below not having a good time. Couple of them were almost green. But the sea didn't affect my wife and me.

Walla Walla, WA
Level Contributor
169 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale Watching Boat Tours

Going out on Monday with Trilogy, my husband gets seasick, so I had his doctor get the motion sickens patch. Also have the psi bands. Going to the DR for our son tomorrow to see what he recommends for our son, who has been car sick once. Go see your DR and see what they recommend. I will post a Trip Report after we return sometime around March 5 and let you know how the patch worked.

Forest Park...
Level Contributor
352 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale Watching Boat Tours

Saw lots of whales this morning from PWF raft trip. The water was pretty calm this morning. Will try and post some pics when I get home next week.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale Watching Boat Tours

Generally the calmest spot to depart from is lahaina Harbor. Less wind and less waves.

Some people are better on small inflatables and others are better on large duo hulled catamarans.

Going below deck generally makes you sicker. We used to tell the seasick people to look up at the clouds. They do not rock around. That generally helped.

Ponce Inlet, Florida
Level Contributor
139 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale Watching Boat Tours

I have tried about everything on the market for sea sickness. So far I have done best with Bonine. No drowsiness! The patch behind the ear definately works - but I had the worst cottonmouth all day - and the day following. Do not drink any alcohol when wearing them - it will only make it 10x worse. Definately do not go in the cabin - and at all cost stay away from the bow (front) of the boat. Hope there are calm seas for you!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
68 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale Watching Boat Tours

My fears of seasickness nearly kept us from going last month. What a mistake that would have been. We booked the 11:30 am cruise with PWF, and we ate nothing beforehand. NOTHING. Just water. Yes, I felt a little bit queasy but it was soon forgotten when the whales showed up. Enjoy!

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Whale Watching Boat Tours

We opt for the earliest morning sail - as the waters may be calmer. DH swears by Ginger Ale.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whale Watching Boat Tours

Ginger ale and patches work fine for me. On a whale tour last year we spotted about a dozen males vying for the attention of a lone female. The group literally swarmed around and under our boat for more than a half hour. Spectacular experience!

Northern California
Level Contributor
364 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whale Watching Boat Tours

It was very calm out of Lahaina this morning. We were in an inflatable (Ultimate Whale Watch). It didn't seem to have the rolling motion that would make someone seasick.