We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Trilogy Whale Watch?

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Which Trilogy Whale Watch?

We would like to go on a whale watch. We are definitely going to go with Trilogy as I have been the most impressed with the reviews and comments here. My question is my husband and I are not sure of which whale watch to go on offered by Trilogy.

The options are: Lahaina Whale Watch...Kaanapali Whale Watch...Maalaea Whale Watch. Are there any differences between these trips apart from where you board? I know that some have beach boarding. Is that a negative or a positive as far as ease? We don't mind walking through the water...just want to make sure it is easy access as far as stairs versus a ladder getting into the boat. Do they all go to the same waters or different areas?

I have heard many opinions on the best time of day. Trilogy offers 10:00 am, afternoon 1:30 pm, and 4:00 pm. Anyone have positive or negatives about these times offered and recommendations?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,992 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Trilogy Whale Watch?

I would go on whichever one was closest to where I was staying. The Maalaea trip would go to places around south Maui, the other two will stay on the west/north side of Maui. I like to do any of my ocean activities in the morning hours, gives me the rest of the day to do something else. I think they all have some kind of stairs but not positive about that.

Schaumburg, IL
Level Contributor
792 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Trilogy Whale Watch?

We did the early day trilogy( 9 or 10 cant remember)we were supposed to board on kaanapali but it was changed to lahaina docks due to some big waves earlier that week. The docks were pretty crowded and hot to line up for boarding. If given the choice and if it's convenient I would pick the beach. The whale watch was a highlight of our trip. Have a great time.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Trilogy Whale Watch?

Do you know if the 3 whale watches bring you to the same area or do they go to different areas. I am leaning towards Kaanapali as that is very close to where we are staying.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Trilogy Whale Watch?

From what I've seen, the boats leaving out of Ka'anapali usually go north from there. But they mostly go where the most whale action is. Leaving from Ka'anapali requires you to walk through the surf to get onboard. Don't have any valuables (phone, camera, etc) in your pants pockets or they might get an unwanted bath.

In the last several weeks, we've been on several boats from Lahaina, and it's the captain's choice where you go. We've been north, south and east of Lahaina. It all depends on the whales

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,992 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Trilogy Whale Watch?

The tours that leave from Lahaina and Kaanapali probably go to the same places in and around west/north Maui. The one that leaves from Maalaea will stay in and around south Maui.

new hampshire
Level Contributor
453 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Trilogy Whale Watch?

Pick the one that is closest to you. We went out of Kaanapali and went up to Honolua Bay. Loved it so much we booked another one on our last day but weather conditions had them leave out of Lahaina instead. That one we stayed more south but saw more whales.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
66 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Trilogy Whale Watch?

We did the Trilogy Whale watch with beach loading from Kaanapali Beach Hotel last month. The boats had real stairs with handrails and not just a ladder. They were easy to navigate and the crew was good about watching the incoming waves and directing you when to board, and would stop the line for a moment if the wave was too big. At the check in booth they were telling people to be prepared to get wet up to your knees, and that was accurate as it turned out. We went at 10:00 am and the ocean was very calm. They did say that it is easier to spot the whales in the morning as the ocean is generally calmer. It was a great time!

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Trilogy Whale Watch?

Thank you all so much. This has been very helpful. We are going to go with Kaanapali at 10 am. We leave for Maui in a week!

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Trilogy Whale Watch?

Sounds perfect, joanielynn!

10. Re: Which Trilogy Whale Watch?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 06:15