We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ka'anapali: which is best?

London/NZ
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Ka'anapali: which is best?

We're in Maui for 5 nights in June, with a budget of approx USD175/night for accommodation. While we would hire a car, it is important to us that there are good, cheap restaurants within walking distance at night (not just resort restaurants that, where we are from, tend to be overpriced). Being very near a beach is also important. After much debate, we've narrowed it down to West Maui. Which do people recommend out of:

- Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas

- The Whaler

- Aston at Papakea

- Aston at Kaanapali Shores?

Or is there an even better accommodation option that we're not thinking of??

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,764 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ka'anapali: which is best?

The Whaler is right on Ka'anapali Beach and is next door to the Whalers Village shops and restaurants where you'll find a food court and everything from McDonalds to the Hula Grill and Leilani's. Still more good restaurant options are a five minute drive away in Lahaina. The other resorts you list are all very nice as well but I don't think have as many dining options within walking distance if that is your criteria.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ka'anapali: which is best?

Maybbe Lahaina Shores in downtown Lahaina would give you the best selection of inexpensive restaurants within walking distance. Penne Pasta, Thai Chef, Cilantros, Lahaina Pizza, plus all the early bird and bar menus at the other restaurants.

Maui Kaanapali Villas is within walking distance of Royal Lahaina's restaurant and also the Royal Scoop deli. plus their own Castaways. The free resort trolley would take you to Whalers Village Shopping Center small food court.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,369 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ka'anapali: which is best?

I would also second the rec for Ka'anapali Villas. The beach there is one of the best and although we haven't tried Castaways, I hear good things about it. Catch the shuttle to go just about anywhere you want to go

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
56,612 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ka'anapali: which is best?

Aloha,

MKV for sure, IMO!

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,118 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ka'anapali: which is best?

Love the Aston Kaanapali Villas. Nice beach and grounds and Castaway Cafe is a regular stop when we're in Maui -- wine list is best on Maui (top reason for me) but food is also pretty good and not too spendy. They have a 2 for 1 pasta night, too (Tuesdays, I believe). We're staying there for a few nights this fall before moving over to our Worldmark condo at Kihei for the rest of our stay.

6. Re: Ka'anapali: which is best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 06:15