We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Birthday Slippah Tour Day One (The Return)

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
351 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
The Birthday Slippah Tour Day One (The Return)

It was a long day. All that excitement of planning and dreaming and hoping…it was finally here. I know I didn’t sleep well the night before, reminded myself of Christmas long ago as a small child. It was here, it was here…if only I could sleep it would come.

And it did, rather rudely in the form of four alarm clocks. There was no chance of a Seinfeld Jean-Paul incident here. Off we went, seamless and perfectly to plan we arrived at Phoenix Sky Harbor. We did the baby count as people rolled into the gate, 5. Hoo boy. I love babies, they are so cute. They smile so sweetly. But hey, it’s a long flight. The odds weren’t in our favor…but as we found our seats, lady luck had smiled on us. And as the plane filled, and I knew it was not a full flight, no one was sitting next to or in front of me. Finally a nice young lady sat in one of the two seats in front of me.

But that was it.

I…… had….the….whole….two…seats….the whole way to Oahu. I should tell you that I am six feet four and I go 260. It was glorious I tell ya, glorious.

The flight attendants dutifully announced Shannon’s 4th or 16th birthday to our fellow passengers. Clapping and blushing ensued. “Daaaaaaad”

Quick layover in Oahu, just enough time for a quick snack and the beautiful short flight with views of Lana’i and Moloka’i

And we where here. Seward at Thrifty had lived up to his promise and he personally had the keys to my soft top 4 door jeep. I scurried back, proud of myself and picked up the ladies who were just walking to the curb with our checked bag. It was logistical perfection.

Off to Ka’anapali. As we went my wife was spotting whales. There’s one…another one…another one! I was trying to drive and not explode my euphoria all over the dash so I saw nary a tail.

We met our property manager right on time in the lobby of the Hokulani Honua Kai. A quick show and tell of the room and many thanks to TA bruddahs and sistahs for I already knew all the nuances. And the room was all it was cracked up to be. We loved it instantly. Quaint, cozy, roomy, upscale. Perfect for us.

The ladies needed to freshen. I needed a mai tai. We parted ways. I made it to Dukes and was served a very strong, right up my alley Mai Tai by Tom Cruises twin. “ hey man anyone ever tell you that you look like Tom Cruise?” Only seven times today was the answer.

Finally, the ladies, in all their glory. Just a drink and happy birthday from our server. And then a birthday Hula Pie, oh my. Sinful yet yummy with a side of awesome. Highly recommend.

And then the walk along the boardwalk to Whalers Village. Toes in the sand was our quest. What a lovely walk as the sun slid down, we ambled throughout Ka’anapali. The birds were out, the weather was perfect.

We made it to Hula Grill and the wait was the expected long time from now. We shopped and spent as we waited. Sweet Shannon likes the woven bracelets and we found several. We cautiously went in to the Louis Vitton and my sweet child saw a purse she liked. It was 15 hundred dollars. 15. Hundred. Dollars. Yeah, no, get the heck outta here.

FINALLY toes in the sand. Great music and great food, great ocean. Great plan. A tip to the excellent musicians prompted a long happy birthday song. “ Daaaaaaaad” An older lady approached us very pleased to announce that she too was a leap day child and was only 15!

We took a taxi back to Honua Kai and hit the well needed Jacuzzi. Then back to the very inviting bed.

With visions of a relaxing day ahead that proved to be elusive yet obtainable we ended our return to Maui satisfied and very happy.

It was The Great Birthday. I had made it happen. I drifted off to sleep with a smile on my face and happiness in my heart. No man should ask for more.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Birthday Slippah Tour Day One (The Return)

Pure bliss.....sounds like a wonderful start to a great trip, will be looking for the next installment, thanks for "taking me there" with your writing.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,706 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Birthday Slippah Tour Day One (The Return)

Oh man!!! What kind of Dad doesn't buy a $1500 Louis Vitton purse for her 16th birthday? ;-)

Loved the first installment. Hope you all have a blast and the updates keep on comin'

Spokane
Level Contributor
365 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The Birthday Slippah Tour Day One (The Return)

You da'man Marshall...glad all is going smooth & you're finally ON Maui.

Here's that link you wanted for the 'Slippah' pendants for your ladies (hey, a lot less than that dang purse):

nahoku.com/collections/hawaiian-slipper-coll…

Head up, tail down, keep on chargin'

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,148 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Birthday Slippah Tour Day One (The Return)

marshall,

love your reports. keep them coming. glad you had a great 1st day. we are all living through you until it's our time. :)

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Birthday Slippah Tour Day One (The Return)

What a dad I wish someone had taken me to Maui for my sweet sixteen.

Have a great trip.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Birthday Slippah Tour Day One (The Return)

Happy 4th birthday to your daughter! What a great start to your vacation. Looking forward to the next installment and what's next on the wishlist for your daughter...hopefully it's less expensive than the purse.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,601 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Birthday Slippah Tour Day One (The Return)

What a wonderful first day in Maui and 16th birthday for your daughter! Your trip reports could make it less painful to get to the end of the month when we fly to Maui . It's been a long, cold, snowy winter here!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
191 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Birthday Slippah Tour Day One (The Return)

Oh man, I just love reading your TR. I love your writing style. Waiting for more. I vision everything you say from trying to sleep the night before to seeing that first whale tail.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Birthday Slippah Tour Day One (The Return)

Great post. Keep 'em coming....

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,342 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Birthday Slippah Tour Day One (The Return)

Thanks for a great report, mauimarshall, really enjoyed reading every word. What a lucky young lady to have a dad like you. Even if you wouldn't cough up the big bucks for that purse!!