We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkeling and weather

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
snorkeling and weather

We are coming to Maui on Monday for a week, staying in south Kihei near Keawakapu Beach. We have never snorkeled and were looking forward to that as a big part of our trip. At the moment the weather forecast is for rain all week (I know that could change). I'm wondering how that will impact snorkeling. Will the water get cloudy? Will the water be darker because the sky is cloudy? etc. Any tips about how to make the best of this situation will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Nebraska
Level Contributor
272 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkeling and weather

We've been here for over a week and never had such a stretch of beautiful snorkeling weather. There was a little rain shower this AM but water looks beautiful now. Other islands had lots of rain last week - but not south Maui. Don't wo5ry too much about the weather - you can't change it anyhow. Snorkeling has just been awesome - will have to figure out a way to post some of the pics and video my husband took.

Broussard, Louisiana
Level Contributor
286 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkeling and weather

We are here now and looking at the weather forecast as well. Hopefully things improve ;)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,982 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkeling and weather

The weather is going to be iffy throughout the Hawaiian Islands this coming week. For the areas to snorkel look at the Top Questions on the right hand side of this page. Click on the one that say's "Where do I Snorkel"?

One thing novice snorkelers need to know is never snorkel in the rain or very choppy water. Visibility is essential for a good snorkeling experience and rain and chop will churn up the ocean making visibility non existent or poor!! Also, when it rains you can get run off from streams which will make the water murky.

When it's raining and the water is murky there is a slim possibility reef sharks (or worse) will come closer into the reef looking for food. It's easier for them to get a catch when the visibility in the water is poor.

The sunnier it is the better the snorkeling will be. Yes, the ocean will be darker when it's cloudy.

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkeling and weather

Thanks for the responses, looks like my best bet is to pray for better weather or come back another time. Bob

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,168 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: snorkeling and weather

Do remember that it can be rainy and cloudy in one area of the island and you can find sun elsewhere. A few Sept ago, we were sitting at Gannon's(Wailea) with the rain pouring, it even chased the golfers in, but 2 miles up the road in Kihei my nieces were snorkeling and basking in the sun...not a drop.

If the whole island is socked in, pray it blows out.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,550 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: snorkeling and weather

If the weather is a little iffy and you are beginning snorkelers, I suggest you start with a snorkel boat tour. They will find the best locations that day if they are to be found. They will also help you feel comfortable snorkeling for the first time. We really appreciated all that Trilogy did for us on our first snorkel.

One note from my son, facial hair + mask = leaks. He tried vaseline, but ended up trimming it back quite a bit to get a tight seal on his last trip. That tip was just in case the handsome gray beard in the photo is yours. I bet you'll find at least some good conditions.

Aloha

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: snorkeling and weather

Thanks for the tip about my beard, I will trim close before I leave. The only person who will see is my wife and she won't care.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: snorkeling and weather

It's the mustache that bothers my husband. That's right where the mask seals.

9. Re: snorkeling and weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 16:40