We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any truth to the rumour...?

Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Any truth to the rumour...?

A colleague of mine just got back from Maui. He claims to have been told by locals around the Maalaea harbor that Molokini was closing for regeneration in a similar fashion to La Perouse, and snorkel boats were going to head to Kaho'olawe to keep up their business. This is from a guy who wears a bright yellow t-shirt saying "I'm Dyin to be Hawaiian" and feels like he's blending in.

Just curious.

If true, maybe we could add unexploded ordinances to Snorkel Bob's fish charts. If false, please share your own folk tales for tourists.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
354 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any truth to the rumour...?

I live in Kihei and have not heard of such a thing. Kahoolawe is closed off to non-Hawaiian people, boats are not allowed to get within a certain radius of it or risk being fined

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any truth to the rumour...?

I wouldn't put much stock in that "rumour". Kahoolawe, as mentioned above, is off limits to most people. It wouldn't hurt Molokini to shut down but that doesn't seem likely.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,894 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any truth to the rumour...?

This is one of those I serious doubt it kind of things!! I could actually see the government doing something to limit Molokini. I haven't heard anything on this end of the globe!! Very few people can actually go ON Kahoolawe, but there is some fishing allowed in certain areas at certain times of year.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
572 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Any truth to the rumour...?

maybe we could add unexploded ordinances to Snorkel Bob's fish charts

What does that mean?

Also, have conditions worsened at Molokini over the last two years?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,894 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any truth to the rumour...?

I haven't snorkeled Molokini in about 4 years, so I can't tell you whether conditions have worsened or not. I doubt there is much coral damage unless it's coming from oil spills or something like that.

The US government used Kahoolawe for for bombing training for quite sometime. It was discontinued in the early 2000's.

Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any truth to the rumour...?

Like i said, the source of the rumour is a serious question mark, mainly due to his gullibility. I just thought I would throw it out there. I know you don't set foot on Kaho'olawe, but the waters? Who know what lurks in the depths?

Last year I found Molokini waters very clear but devoid of fish.

Edited: 04 March 2012, 01:10
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
45,339 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any truth to the rumour...?

Aloha,

Kaho'olawe was repatriated in 1994; the live fire exercises stopped completely in 1990, though bombing stopped before that. The repatriation ceremony was impressive..............I wasn't there but my mother was one of the invitees. Her recounting of it gave me chicken skin.

These days, there are very limited opportunities for non-Native Hawaiians to actually visit the island, if accompanied by the caretakers. It's complicated and not something that is easily done nor publicized or encouraged. One of Kaho'olawe's nicknames is "the Sad Island", due to the loss of the land itself to the 45 or so years of bombs, not to mention the destruction of families' homes and ranches (right after Pearl Harbor). Yes, people really did live there and farm there.

There is not only a huge amount of unexploded ordnance on the island, but in the waters around it. If one does pull a permit to fish, one has to sign a waiver of liability...............if ya' get blown up, too bad.

I think you nailed the prob, Mauifan. Your friend is waaaaay gullible. Kaho'olawe will not only never be safe for such things, but there would be massive outrage were tour boats to start going anywhere near it.

Molokini's fish population has sucked for years!

Edited: 04 March 2012, 02:39
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
45,339 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any truth to the rumour...?

By the way, here's a pretty good summary of Kaho'olawe's history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kahoolawe

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any truth to the rumour...?

i think caddy and i started the rumor. we were playing with the idea of a pink corvette/bicycle tour of the island. unfortunately it wound up a bit like playing hopscotch....for keeps.

sw...where ya been hiding? good to see you back!

Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any truth to the rumour...?

Ah, I new I could count on your background info swmarket. And yes, my friend would buy this story hook and line. I hear he goes out on a snipe hunt every now and again.