We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report: Day #6 ... Road to Hana

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
Trip report: Day #6 ... Road to Hana

We started out at 7am and picked up boxed lunches at CJ's deli. We also bought the Hana audio CD while we were there. Armed with the CD and Maui Revealed and a full tank of gas, we were on our way by 7:20. Driving past the road to Haleakala, I think we saw all the people who did sunrise coming back - or maybe it was just rush hour when we were going past that intersection around 8. Didn't stop in Pa'ia but planned to on the way back when all the shops opened.

We really wanted to get to the painted eucalyptus trees, but the lady on the CD said to make sure you had your insect repellant for that stop. Alas, I am very allergic to mosquito bites and didn't want to spend my last day in the ER, and I only had one OFF wipe and not a lot to really cover me, so we skipped that, sadly. No extensive hikes for us, which was fine, as it started raining around the Huelo lookout and didn't stop. In fact, it only got heavier and heavier as we went. We drive into the Garden of Eden place and learned the price was $15 per person - no thanks! We headed right back out.

We stopped at the halfway point for banana bread. I bought two loaves: one for us, one for my dad who's in Kihei and will love it on the long plane ride back to the mainland. My husband liked the bread but said he likes mine better! I tend to agree, as I can admit I have a talent for baking (cooking, not so much...)

I had started off driving and pretty soon husband was feeling carsick so by the time we got to Huelo we switched. Halfway to Hana gave us a chance to stretch our legs again. We stopped at the most amazing waterfall, too, much farther down the road. I think it was called Wailua? Luckily we were early visitors and didn't see many cars so we could linger without holding up traffic. We stopped at the state park with the black sand beach, which was great. It would've been nicer with better weather! It was a light sprinkle then. A little ways down at Hana Bay the big fat raindrops started falling so we just stayed in the car. We backed out and went on to Haleakala park for the O'heo gulch and seven sacred pools. It started raining even harder so we turned around and started back. What a bummer! I was really looking forward to that and the Pipiwei trail, but no way did we want to get cold and wet and tired.

We ate in the parking lot at Hana Bay. Husband and I both agreed the CJ's lunch wasn't worth the money. I couldn't really figure what the hype was about. We easily could have packed a lunch ourselves or just packed snacks, as we ate a big breakfast and made good time on the road. Maybe if we'd stopped more places and really explored, but the weather just wasn't cooperating. I only ate half my CJ's sandwich and don't plan to go back to that deli - other than to get my deposit back on the cooler!

The weather started clearing about halfway on the road back, but it was still overcast. We had a nutjob in a pickup truck behind us for many miles who kept honking and wanted to pass us, but there was another car in front of us too, and we could only go as fast as that person. Eventually that car in front pulled over - but not soon enough for that truck behind us - and husband is an excellent driver so he picked up a "local" pace that was still safe and that truck got off our tail. Such a jerk.

We were back by 4 but too tired to do anything. We did stop at the Hookipa outlook but it wasn't as clear or pretty as yesterday.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,285 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report: Day #6 ... Road to Hana

Too bad about the rain on your RTH day ... but it sounds like you enjoyed a few nice sites along the way.

The truck driver probably thought that if you pulled over to let him pass he could get the car in front of you to do the same and then he could be on his way....until he met up with the next car going slower than him. It probably wears on the locals dealing with that traffic every day.

Level Contributor
36,349 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report: Day #6 ... Road to Hana

Too bad about the rain! The RTH is so spectacular. :).

DeWitt, Iowa
Level Contributor
357 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report: Day #6 ... Road to Hana

Sorry you had such a disappointing experience. Hana can be very beautiful. They gotta get the rain though for that lush forest and the beautiful waterfalls! I agree w/ your opinion about CJ's Hana lunch but as for CJ's Deli in general, we love to eat there. Breakfast is always yummy and one meal is enough for both of us. My husband has to stop there at least twice every trip to get their Maui Onion Rings with banana ketchup!

Hopefully the rest of your trip brings you more sunshine!

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report: Day #6 ... Road to Hana

Thats too bad about CJ's, we ate there many times and it was always pleasing.

The guy beeping his horn was probably a local trying to do his daily thing. Just imagine living in a place where mostly everyone wanted to go 10 mph under the speed limit checking out the scenery. I would imagine it would get old quick. Myself anytime a local gets in back of me I pull over, they go by and beep saying thank you and off they go rather quickly.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,628 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report: Day #6 ... Road to Hana

Aloha,

You sound tired and burned out, to be honest. I hope you stay out of cars for the next few days and enjoy some R&R.

Please, people--pull over if someone is behind you and clearly in a hurry. You don't know what that person's issue is--it could be nothing, or it could be that he was trying to reach a loved one in the hospital, a friend in need of help, or something else.

But you don't know--and for a local to be honking the horn repeatedly is rare. That alone tells me it was prob something more than impatience.

Have some Aloha for us, too. It's not just nicer, it's simply good manners.

Edited: 04 March 2012, 19:45
Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report: Day #6 ... Road to Hana

I am so sorry your drive to Hana was a bummer. I agree totally with sw! The best thing to do with someone in a hurry behind you on that road is to pull over! Less stress for you also.

Whenever we visit Maui, we always imagine what it would feel like to deal with non-stop visitors.I know that while the tourists are important to the economy, it could just get tiring to have visitors all year long. Our tourist season is about four or five months long and I admit that when September comes, it is sort of nice to breathe again! And we love and appreciate our visitors in Alaska too!

I hope you are able to just relax and enjoy the rest of your honeymoon on Maui! Have enjoyed your trip reports and wish you the best with your marriage.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,352 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report: Day #6 ... Road to Hana

Without the rain the waterfalls wouldn't be as spectacular as they are. Ask they people who were doing this drive a couple of years ago when the drought was prevalent. Anyway, it sounds like a good time even though cut short. The best banana bread along this journey can be found in Keanae just a short drive off the Hana Hwy.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report: Day #6 ... Road to Hana

sw, you are on the money. I am so burnt out. I type this from the car, unfortunately, as we're going to the Hilo Hattie's in Kihei bc husband wants a specific kind of coffee. So we're trekking down south again. And it's raining lightly and looks like it will pour soon. Tomorrow is our last day and I don't know how to pass the next 24 hours, since we really don't enjoy where we are staying so hence the drives everywhere.

DeWitt, Iowa
Level Contributor
357 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report: Day #6 ... Road to Hana

Engaged,

We stay next door to where you are every year at about this time (Feb or March). We've found that not having a specific schedule but being more flexible is the key to the west side in winter. When it's sunny, we remain close to the resort. When it's not, we head to the sun which we can usually find on another part of the island.

I hope within the next 24 hours you are able to find a little bit of relaxation and some sunshine.

Congratulations on your marriage and thanks for giving us your time by writing the reports!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,285 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report: Day #6 ... Road to Hana

Is it the unit that you have at KS that you're not happy with or the location of the complex ... or both?