We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Makena Beach & Golf Resort for honeymoon?

Cherry Valley...
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Makena Beach & Golf Resort for honeymoon?

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon in Hawaii, 5 nights in Kauai and 5 nights on Maui. We are searching for an affordable yet fun, relaxing, gorgeous hotel. In Kauai we are staying in a rental condo, but in Maui we would love to stay at a resort. We would really like to stay around $200/night but I realize this may be unobtainable in Maui. The Makena Beach & Golf Resort has a current special on Expedia that fits in this budget but I'm concerned about the location and the small pool area at this hotel. Has anyone else stayed here? Any other suggestions on finding decent packages for honeymooners? Thanks in advance for the help!

Schaumburg, IL
Level Contributor
792 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Makena Beach & Golf Resort for honeymoon?

Spangie,

Some of our regular posters are crazy for the Makena property. I'm sure you will get some more specific feedback. What month are planning on visiting, because that may make a difference in advice given. Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,346 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Makena Beach & Golf Resort for honeymoon?

I'm one of those that is crazy about this resort!! Yes, it is a bit isolated, which is good for a honeymoon. But it is within a 10 min. drive into Wailea and 15 min. from Kihei.

If a pool experience is what you are looking for you won't find it here. The pool is small. The rooms have all be recently upgraded and the atrium is gorgeous.

The beach this hotel sits on is one of the best on Maui. Both for snorkeling and swimming.

This is the place to stay when you want to be far from the crowds.

Cherry Valley...
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Makena Beach & Golf Resort for honeymoon?

We will be visiting the last week in October of 2012. I have read that the beach is so great at Makena that it makes up for the lacking pool area, and have also read that the newly renovated rooms are great with almost all rooms having an ocean view.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,722 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Makena Beach & Golf Resort for honeymoon?

Yeah, another one of the "crazies" for Makena Beach Resort here. And if you can get if for $200 a night, grab it - that's a great rate (though it probably won't have any sort of ocean view). Yes, the pool is small. But are you really going to travel all that way to Maui's world class beaches to sit at a pool all day? And it's location as the last resort along the road in South Maui make it perfect for a honeymoon getaway.

Oregon
Level Contributor
74 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Makena Beach & Golf Resort for honeymoon?

We stayed 3 nights here last October and loved it. Yes, the beach was wonderful and I can't wait to go back sometime. Through their website we were able to get the room for $199 with breakfast each morning and no resort fees, I think they are offering the same deal for this fall too. Also if you sign up with their I Prefere program (free) they will upgrade you, they said they gave us a double upgrade. I don't know what room we would have had without the upgrade, but our room did have a nice view. Hope that helps.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
379 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Makena Beach & Golf Resort for honeymoon?

We have not stayed here, but walked through the property last year. If we didn't prefer condos, we would stay here in a heartbeat. Lovely, open atrium, and a wonderful beach--I'm so glad to hear that the new owners have re-done the rooms.

1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Makena Beach & Golf Resort for honeymoon?

Did you sign up at the time of check in or when you booked it?

wellington, fl
Level Contributor
171 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Makena Beach & Golf Resort for honeymoon?

Sounds like a good deal & I loved the feel of relaxation & aloha when DH & I walked around the property prior to & after our massages by the ocean...in a hut with soft sheet sidings so no one could see in. Seriously, it felt relaxing from the moment the great guy welcomed us as we valet parked.

The pool area didn't seem busy in the morning we were there 10:30am to 12:30pm and I thought the beach was perfect, the views magnificent.

If you want a little more activity, as has been mentioned, Wailea is just a short short car ride down the road & good news is that around there you don't have to hastle the traffic....oh, yes, I'd stay there for sure!!

If you want some wonderful information, call their concierge, Diane, now she embodies aloha...and really knows the island!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,739 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Makena Beach & Golf Resort for honeymoon?

If you want a fantastic pool scene, Makena is not it. You will need to pay much more than $200 for that on Maui. If you want a peaceful, lush setting on a gorgeous beach, Makena is it and is in your price range.

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Makena Beach & Golf Resort for honeymoon?

We stayed there for a week in August of this year. We loved it. It seems remote but isn't. The beach is IMO the best one in south Maui. Very nice rooms with fantastic views of the ocean etc. Wonderful service from the employees and a host of freebies that other hotels nickel and dime you. The hotel has a very laid back feeling to it. While the pool is decidedly ordinary, it actually wasn't the downer I expected. The pool guys are very nice and offer free treats to cool you down all day long. No having to get a place reserved at 7am around the pool here as you need to do at a lot of other resorts. We stay at mainly 4 star hotels on the islands, and this one was such a pleasant surprise for us. While Maui isn't my favorite island we nevertheless can't wait for the next stay at Makena. see the list of included items below....

No resort fee

Free valet parking

Free wifi

Breakfast buffet

Free shuttle to all the Wailea restaurants, shops and hotels

Free pool cabanas