We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Molokini for beginner snorkelers/bad swimmers?

SC
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Molokini for beginner snorkelers/bad swimmers?

Will be in Maui in early May. Would love to join PWF for its morning Express Snorkel at Molokini. How is ocean condition at that time(choppy?) and is it an easy/suitable area for novices?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,469 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Molokini for beginner snorkelers/bad swimmers?

Molokini is a great place for beginners. I tend to stay away from the PWF boats though. There are better companies that don't take so many people at a time. Morning is always best for Molokini.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Molokini for beginner snorkelers/bad swimmers?

Yes, Molokini is actually great for beginners. The boats provide snorkel gears and life vests etc. And it is usually very calm in the mornings. Plus the boat staff might keep an eye on you.

Also agree that you should stay away from Pacific Whale Foundation boat. Their boat is HUGE! You'd feel like sitting on a ferry boat.

The boat ride itself should be part of the fun to Molokini, you should look for a smaller sail boat. You will have lots of choices, many boats go there.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,048 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Molokini for beginner snorkelers/bad swimmers?

We really enjoy the Trilogy boats to Molokini...their crews are wonderful and take great care of beginners.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,224 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Molokini for beginner snorkelers/bad swimmers?

Try Paragon to Molokini. FAST sailing catamaran, never crowded, and they will do a performance sail on the way back.

SC
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Molokini for beginner snorkelers/bad swimmers?

Thank you for all the great info and suggestions. Will look into other tour operators for Molokini excursions.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
135 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Molokini for beginner snorkelers/bad swimmers?

I would recommend Blue Water Rafting if you're up for an adventurous boat ride...they were great. We had beginners on our boat and they were really very patient and helpful with them in all instances. Have fun!

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Molokini for beginner snorkelers/bad swimmers?

We've used Trilogy several times and they did a fantastic job! The crew is fun and knowledgable and the boat will only carry twenty to forty people at once so it's a much more personal experience. I highly recommend Trilogy and will only use them in the future.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Molokini for beginner snorkelers/bad swimmers?

I described a great experience with Trilogy in a recent trip report (4th paragraph from the bottom):

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k523613…

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
347 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Molokini for beginner snorkelers/bad swimmers?

I agree with pzp/blackcat;

I have gone on Paragon to Molokini many few times over the past years. They try to sail when the wind is up going there and almost always when the wind is usually up on the way back. They also have one of the best mooring spots at Molokini with a smaller crowd which makes a better experience there. The water is almost always calm there as the crater wall blocks the swell/waves.

I also believe they offer a discount thru booking online. I think their site is sailmaui.com

Well I hope y'all have a great vacation in Maui.

Aloha gmc

Edited: 14 March 2012, 06:53
10. Re: Molokini for beginner snorkelers/bad swimmers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 07:15