We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming under a waterfall

Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming under a waterfall

My 8 year old son would like to swim in a natural pool under a waterfall. Where would you suggest we go for this? We are staying in Kaanapali and have a car to get arround the island. We don't want to go all the way to Hana since there will be 5 of us including a 1 year old. We are going to be on Maui April 6 to 14 . So excited!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming under a waterfall

I know many people do this, but do be aware of the risks:

hawaii.gov/health/…leptobrochure.pdf

Also, rocks, coconuts, etc can come over the falls.

3Chihuahuas

Schaumburg, IL
Level Contributor
792 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming under a waterfall

Canadama,

Although swimming under a waterfall is sounds exciting and fun, it can be really dangerous as rocks and other debris can get swept down the falls and hit the person below.

Take a look at this article

hawaiinewsnow.com/story/14774755/rock-fall-k…

There have also been issues on Kauai with some sort of a vortex that forms in the pool below the waterfall and pulls people under to drown. Have a great trip and stay safe.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming under a waterfall

I would suggest putting him in the bathtub and turning the overhead shower on. In all seriousness, although it sounds like a wonderful thing to do, there are many risks involved with this activity. I wouldn't want to be under a 100 ft waterfall when a rock (or a even a pebble) comes falling over the waterfall.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
266 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming under a waterfall

Don't do it. Not worth the risk.

LA
Level Contributor
10,044 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming under a waterfall

Maybe stay at the Hyatt where they have a waterfall into the pool.

I just think that some things are too dangerous to indugle a kid's fantasy, and this is one of them.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,483 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming under a waterfall

Very bad idea. Swimming in fresh water in Hawaii is not a good idea.

Leptospirosis is especially bad for young children.

Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming under a waterfall

Thank you for all the information. We'll find something else to do. I'm sure he'll forget all about it with beaches, boogie boarding, etc. I'm glad you told me about all the risks!

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swimming under a waterfall

Not worth the risk with all the rain/runoff. Water's too murky and wouldn't be too healthy

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,914 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Swimming under a waterfall

You might plan a visit to Waikoloa Resort on Big Island or the Grand Wailea on Maui. At the Waikoloa he can also be transported through the resort via monorail or boat.

LA
Level Contributor
10,044 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Swimming under a waterfall

You would have to pay for a room to be able to use the pools at the Hyatt or Grand Wailea.

I think flying to The Big Island would be an expensive and time-consuming activity given the one-week length of your Hawaiian visit.