We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goin' with the flow - no TR yet, just meandering thoughts

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
651 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Goin' with the flow - no TR yet, just meandering thoughts

It's been an absolutely wonderful trip.

Our goal has been to just "go with the flow", not to over-plan or over-schedule and not to stress if things turn out a bit different than we anticipated. I'm happy to say we've been very successful in that respect!

I've got such a lovely Maui chill going on that I can't even start a trip report at the moment, but I do plan to once I'm home and settled in.

I've found it so helpful and interesting/entertaining to read trip reports from others, so I hope to return the favor if I can.

But for now, I'm chilling on the lanai of the room, enjoying the view and the breeze and the bird song - just before heading to the airport.

We've spent a week and have seen and done so much, but still have had plenty of downtime for reflection and just taking it all in.

I feel so fortunate to get to come here (our fourth trip to the islands in five years, our second to Maui) and if our situation and health allows, we hope to come every year. Kauai will be next and it will be my first trip there - DH was there once before we met.

I know that a lot of people like to travel to different places each time they take a vacation, but I just don't really have that wanderlust anymore having experienced Hawaii. It just feels like "why would I want to go anywhere else?" This being the second time on Maui and staying in/visiting places and sights we enjoyed so much the last time, I sort of feel like "Hi, honey - I'm home!"

I also feel incredibly lucky that we missed the bad weather. I feel so badly for people who had that happen on their vacation.

Does anyone else feel that the Hawaiian air is "soft"? That's the only way I can describe it. It's different from anything I've felt before. When a breeze floats over me, I feel like I've been kissed with aloha.

Mahalo to all for the wonderful info and advice given here and aloha until I begin Trip Report posting!

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,111 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Goin' with the flow - no TR yet, just meandering thoughts

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings. Just as satisfying to read as a blow-by-blow description of food and activities. (...although I look forward to that, too, when you feel like re-living your trip by posting a full report)

T S
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,863 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Goin' with the flow - no TR yet, just meandering thoughts

<<<I sort of feel like "Hi, honey - I'm home!">>>

I LOVE it! So good to hear you have had a wonderful time going with the flow on Maui. That's our style too. Looking forward to more in your tr, whenever you get around to it.

Aloha

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Goin' with the flow - no TR yet, just meandering thoughts

I always describe the air as soft!

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Goin' with the flow - no TR yet, just meandering thoughts

Ha...people give us a hard time too about always going back to Hawaii. But we really don't want to go anywhere else. Maybe someday we'll get over our addiction. NOT :)

California
Level Contributor
9,664 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Goin' with the flow - no TR yet, just meandering thoughts

'It just feels like "why would I want to go anywhere else?" This being the second time on Maui and staying in/visiting places and sights we enjoyed so much the last time, I sort of feel like "Hi, honey - I'm home!"

That's exactly how I feel about Kauai! Looking forward to reading your TR and seeing you on the Kauai forum in the future.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Goin' with the flow - no TR yet, just meandering thoughts

Ahh soft air. love that! Wonder how we'd describe the air in the airplane? m

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,559 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Goin' with the flow - no TR yet, just meandering thoughts

Agree "soft air" and why go elsewhere. Great you had a restful trip.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Goin' with the flow - no TR yet, just meandering thoughts

Agree with you....Hawaii is simply the best place to vacation and only place for us anymore. It's simply heaven on earth!

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,110 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Goin' with the flow - no TR yet, just meandering thoughts

Maui no ka oi -- and the air IS soft!

Orange, CA
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Goin' with the flow - no TR yet, just meandering thoughts

That's how we feel as well. Hawaii has pretty much been my only destination - from the time I was 18 to now - almost 50.