We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a budget friendly rent a car in maui

boston
Level Contributor
258 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a budget friendly rent a car in maui

Any ideas. We will not be getting a convertible though.

Thanks

washington
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a budget friendly rent a car in maui

If your looking to rent from other than the airport we have used kihei rent a car several times very nice people they pick you up at the airport and drop you off http://www.kiheirentacar.com

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
9,926 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a budget friendly rent a car in maui

Look to the right of this page.. top questions...Rental cars..you will find several great ideas. If you rent direct from a major company besure to join their loyalty club before making reservations and you will receive a discount when booking and usually spouse drives for free.

Many of us use third party. If you use discountHawaii you can email them close to your arrival to check and see if prices have dropped. Plus you get spouse as an extra driver for free.

I have used and have friends that use Kihei rentals..but they only have smaller cars like Nissan, which my long legged group can't fit into.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,193 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a budget friendly rent a car in maui

many of us have had the best luck with http://discounthawaiicarrental.com/

Just fill out their form and they will email you a reservation. You are not obligated in any way and can cancel if you don't like the rate.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a budget friendly rent a car in maui

discounthawaiirental.com consistently gets great rates as mentioned above by grandeau. I've also had really good luck with the Name Your Price option on Priceline. The downside with Priceline is that it's pre-paid and non-refundable, and you need to wait until you're only 10-14 days out to get the best discounts.

lake forest park
Level Contributor
186 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a budget friendly rent a car in maui

I use to be a priceliner but with the extra driver fee it can expensive. I've bid $10 for the car, they charge you for taxes and fees and no free driver.It can be $450 for 15 days and I can go throught Costco and get it for less than $300. This year when I booked it was $400 for May and now over $700 for a full size in May and September

Welland, Canada
Level Contributor
167 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a budget friendly rent a car in maui

Hi, I am researching rental cars but I am not going until Jan 2013, so just seeing whats out there and will compare rates over the comingmonths. Discount Hawaii does not have rates that far out as yet. I am wondering how far out others rent their vehicles and is there ever an availability issue? Thanks

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,996 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a budget friendly rent a car in maui

Yes, there can be an availability issue. Thanksgiving, Christmas and the Presidents 3 day weekend in February. A couple of months out should be plenty of time to make a reservation.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,976 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a budget friendly rent a car in maui

Yes Kim there can indeed be availability issues, especially during high seasons. We actually got the last car in the lot once...with folks coming behind us who were out of luck! I normally start booking our car 4-5 months out and keep checking back. I use discount every time now.

lake forest park
Level Contributor
186 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a budget friendly rent a car in maui

Mamma.

Maybe i'm doing something wrong. I never know what I'm paying until I get the conformation email and then it's always higher then I can find elsewhere. What's my problem? Do Gig Harbor folks get a better deal than Lake Forest Park. (north Seattle) ?

Aloha

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,976 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for a budget friendly rent a car in maui

oldness...do you keep trying? I often check and re-check, book and re-book...they have beaten Costco every time for me! I do admitt I'm not obsessive about the car, once I get a price I can deal with I'm willing to pay it. We often have changes in the number of folks coming with us so I put in any number of requests, FYI..I'm in Snohomish County! Teehee.